What does it mean when the American Flag is flown upside down?

I passed by a home today and, they had the American flag flying upside down. They also had another flag flying but, I couldn't make out what it was as I was driving past. I know the flag at half mast means a death. I just don't know what the flag upside down means.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i googled it it means a distress signal.
    Anonymous

• When the American Flag is flown upside down it means it is in distress. It means that they can not fight on their own anymore and it needs immeditate help from other countries.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• yes, distress: Help is needed

Answer by admckenzie at 5:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• LOL, my first thought was that they finally realized the country is doing everything A$$ backwards and decided to follow suit!
    Anonymous

• wow... that was funny and wrong at the same time.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It's generally a signal of distress. But it is also sometimes used as a statement of protest against the US, or a symbol of disrespect (particularly if another flag is flown on top of it).
    Anonymous

• LOL.....
    Right now our whole country is upside down,,,,,so why shouldn't our flag be???
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• distress maybe but in their case probably did not know how to hang it, perhaps.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• distress usually. If they are being in in a disrespectful way it mean they want their butt kicked IMO
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• *meaning it
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2009