Does anyone know anything on accelerated math?

Has anyone had/has a child that is doing Accelerated Math in the 3rd Grade?

daisymae80

Asked by daisymae80 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I started when I was in 2nd grade and continued through college, starting with differential equations as a freshman in college. My program was simply skipping a grade in math and doing the equivalent of an honors program. Do you have a concern?
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Yes I have a concern. The school is pushing the children way too hard...it has caused my son to hate math. They are not learning the basics of math. Instead they are doing Algebra. Did you like it ot recommend it to others?
    daisymae80

Answer by daisymae80 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• The United States is like #38 ranked country in Math in the entire world. It is a disgrace. We need to push our children more. It will help them with all the other courses they take during school. Just because we may not be good at math, hate math, can't do the math, we need to help support the curriculum. There are sooo many free online services for math tutoring. There is tutor.com where your child can be tutored online and receive help with their homework assignments.

Please don't be afraid or discouraged. Math opens their minds.
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 12:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• He needs the basics to do algebra. If he doesn't have it why is he in it? Our curriculum includes algebra but only in addition. Talk with the school regarding your concerns asasp.

robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We do not need to push our children to the point were they are disgraced with themselves. Not everyone is good in math. I do not support the Accelerated Math....it is a digrace to the children. I have talked with the teachers and the principal. Cause thanks to this program I have had to take my son to the doctor for his attitude and it is all to do with the Accelerated Math...the doctor even said so.
    daisymae80

Answer by daisymae80 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Are we talking about the program by Renaissance learning? I've used it for Enrichment and Intervention and think it is great. All my students worked at their own pace in the program, so maybe we are talking about a different program or it has really changed in the last two years.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It is not meant to replace lessons given by the teacher. Maybe the teacher is giving lessons and some kids are not paying attention (I know this happens from experience) and when it comes to applying the lesson the kids are lost. Have you asked the teacher to show you how it works or visited the class to see it in action?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Yes Ihave sat in on the class for myself. I believe it is the same program from renaissance. The teacher actually sits goal for them. They have to work at the teachers pace. If they don't meet there standards for the teachers they get lunc detention an Saturday school. It's really sad.....I have talked with th teachers and principal about this. The teacher is not even teaching the same lesson as what they are testing on in accelerated math. I'm sorry this program stinks. It is not for every child and I think the school needs to understand this.
    daisymae80

Answer by daisymae80 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Hmmm, well I only had great outcomes with it, sorry that your son isn't doing so well. What have the other parents said? Are they experiencing the same thing or is it only your son? What did the administrator say? Has he always struggled in math, or is this the first time? Is it possible to get him a different teacher or even place him in another school?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009