My daughter is 17 m0nths and doesnt walk and refuses to use a big sippy cup?

I had my daughter at home for 10 months w/ me n didnt let her explore a lot on the floor. I have a huge family and everyone always held her and baby'd her. i had her in a daycare from 10 months to 16 months. while i was in school and working at the daycare part time. she got sick often. i married and moved and am with her at home. she still is not walking. she has strong legs just really wobbly at the ankle n has no balance. when i walk w/ her w/ 1 hand she is all over the place. i dont know if this is ok. on another note. she was breast feed and used a bottle tell 12 months. she switched to a sippy cup at 13 months. but a baby starter sippy cup n w/ a laytex mouth peace. i know its bad for her teeth. so i'm trying to switch her to a larger no handle hard mouth peace sippy cup. and she hates it she throws it every time. its been 1 1/2 days and she hasnt drank. i hate doing this i just want to give in. what should i do?

Nikky_Queen

Asked by Nikky_Queen at 6:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried the straw type sippy cups? maybe she'll like those.
    the walking will come soon enough, she didn't have as much early, prewalking practice as others, so it might tale a little longer. Give her lots of oppurtunity and she will walk soon.
    My youngest was 18 months when he walked. he was sickly a lot, too.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• try taking her out to the park and places where she'll see kids her age..her seeing other kids walking would want her to do it..
    and the sippy cup thing ... i would just give it to her and let her know he has to drink her there and dont show her the bottle at all cuz once you do .. she gonna cry for it..
    --- these are things i did with my son!!
    my son started walking at 10 months and started drinking out of a sippy one his first b-day

Good luck
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• What does the pediatrician say about her not walking? I'd see what he/she says. In the mean time, focus on having her stand and taking steps holding your hand/cruising on the furniture off and on through out the day. Encourage her to use push toys so she'll have some support and be able to get around on her own.
    As far as the cups go, try the cups with straws.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My cousins baby did not walk until he was 2, he just didn't want to. As for the cups just give her the cup, if you think she should be drinking more put the lid on a bigger cup, playtex lids are interchangeable. And just offer her a bigger cup often, I put water in one and left it where my dd could get it, sure enough she got to wandering and tried it. Straw cups are a option to, but she may not like them.
    Anonymous

• dont give in i had that issue with my three year old i kept giving in and i called my grandma she said it sound mean but dont give to the soft tip she said just wait he will get thirsty you could always just try a regular cup( dont fill it that much 0
    brangabjos

Answer by brangabjos at 1:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• you should discuss these issues with your daughter's pediatrician, he or she will be the best person to give you advice about your child. they'll help you on how to get her walking and drinking out of sipicups. good luck.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2009