Is it appropriate to have a baby shower for your second child who is only 14 months apart and the same sex?

I'm not sure if I should have a baby shower for my second since they are so close and we have the hand me downs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i woouldnt since they are so close . i would just use the same stuff .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• if its something you want to do then why not i am having one for my second and mine are both girls granted they are 5yrs apart but each child deserves too be blessed in this world by family in my eyes
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 6:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It is not appropriate (according to etiquette) to have a second baby shower unless it has been more than 5 years since your last baby no matter what the sex. (remember back when you had to wait until the baby was born to know what it was?)

It's also not proper etiquette to throw your own shower nor should close family members act as hostess.

But...many things are different these days and the general rules of etiquette are rarely adhered to.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree with greenie mommie. My daughter will be 23 months when my son is born and I just had my shower last weekend. The shower is not for you but for the baby as a celebration of life. It is your choice on what you want to do. We just registered for clothes and some new little toys but no big items and you know what it went very nicely and noone was offended by us having another shower. Its your right to celebrate the new baby there is no reason that this baby cant have something special for them. You can also google it and there are tons of ideas and ettiqutte (spelling) guidelines. Good Luck and have FUN
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• The idea of a baby shower is for friends and family to shower the mother with gifts...things she will need to care for the baby.

Google it.
    Anonymous

• people know what a shower is for why googleit? i dont think you should its the same sex baby i mean why would you need 2 of everything for a girl or a boy when you already have everything for a girl or boy
    Anonymous

• to anon, you mean to tell me that if you had a girl first and a boy second you would hand clothes down to the boy and dress him in pink and purple. sorry not for me, and what about them being off seasons. i will tell you i was one that was very hesitant on having a second shower, it took friends to talk me into it and they are the ones that threw it. if you want a second shower do it. dont let anyone think bad about it. i want to let you know also that all my girls clothes that could still be worn that werent stained I gave to a friend that is having a girl and clothes such as jeans shorts sleepers that could be worn by a boy i kept those. did you forget people do need diapers. who cares if it is the same sex this baby is no less special than the first, think when they are older looking through the baby book and the shower page is blank in the second babies book. try explaining that
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• no she said it was the same sex meaning for example she has a girl she would behaving another girl ... different sex then yes i would but she said same sex
    Anonymous

• Honestly it sounds selfish. You have the majority of the things you need, and I think even if people come they will do it begrudgingly because it is selfish of you to expect people to give gifts in this situation, if they give you gifts on their own that's one thing, but inviting people to a shower is basically making them give you gifts..
    Anonymous

• I would I just wouldt do it as big s the 1st. It is still a celebration of the life of your child.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 7:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2009