What can I do if my one month old won't let me put her down AT ALL?

My baby is one month old and I can't put her down at all! I know you can't spoil a baby, and she needs her mommy and she just came out of me. But, I can't put her down in her crib, day or night, can't put her in the swing or anywhere without her crying within 5 minutes of putting her down. The only one she doesn't cry in is in her bouncy and that's because I have to rock her with my foot as I work on the computer (I work from home) Other than that she doesn't ever sleep on her own or stay put without crying. Is this normal? Has anyone gone through this and how long did it last? What can I do? It's frustrating, many times I can't go to the bathroom for a while, take a shower, or tend to my 2 year old, it's VERY frustrating...I love my little bug but as awful as it sounds I'm starting to resent my situation.

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 2 months and I had a similar I got a sling. I like the heart to heart brand because you can put them facing you chest and it supports their head. He is getting better now and I try to put him down as often as I can so that he gets used to not being attached to me.

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I would start trying to get her to be put down sooner than later cause it will only get worse. It will be worse on you and harder for her to be left alone. I am not saying let her scream, but provide more opportunities to be laid down, lay her down every time she sleeps, if she gets up lay her down again after she is asleep or before she falls asleep and pat her belly touch her head so she knows yu are there. Keep trying her swing, stay where you can see her and talk to her. It will get better.

Answer by AK_aries at 6:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• SLING!
    Seriously, honey, I know that's very frustrating and difficult, but you are doing the RIGHT THING to hold her as much as she needs you to. You're absolutely correct that you can't spoil her.

Learn to use a sling. It's the best way. She's close to you and secure, your hands are free, and the motion of you walking around will help her sleep.

Answer by JoyeAustin at 6:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My daughter was like that the first 3 months, but then it slowly got better.

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree with JoyeAustin. My DD was JUST LIKE YOURS. Get some help if you can. Have a neighbor, your mom, a friend, come watch the baby so you can shower by yourself. But my Moby wrap was a LIFESAVER. Im a single mom and have been since DD was born, so I felt so stuck doing everything by myself! The sling will enable you to nurse hands free (if you're nursing), play with your two year old, cook dinner, sweep and mop, and baby will get the benefits of being safe and snuggled :~) HTH mama, and good luck!

And YES they do grow out of it. My DD is 16 months old and is not nearly as
    "clingy" as she was as a newborn.

Answer by epoh at 6:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Yep, I would agree with the sling... I had great luck with the hotsling, which you can get at a reasonable price at target. Good luck, it does get better- and soon.

Answer by mom2ellisnjane at 6:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Sling!
    You can make one for less than $10, or check out Craigslist where people are selling them all the time.
    You're NOT going to spoil your baby, and she doesn't "need to learn to be by herself", so ignore that advice. It's not true and can actually make your baby more clingy.

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• she cant be held all the time . she needs to be having her tummy time and able to soothe herself sometimes they do have to do that .... it will get worse if u keep on doin it , yes i know babys need alot of love and affection but if u cant put her down at all thats not good. my lil girl was a tummy baby the only way she would let me put her down was on her tummy and with her pacifier ... try it if it doesnt work sometimes they have to cry !!

• Get a sling. That way baby can be held most o the time. I wore my last two all the time and it made life so much easier. Babies DO NOT have to cry and they shouldn't, especially at a month old.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Anon 8:46, have you tried holding a baby when they need to be held every time? What do you base this opinion on? I have never taught a kid to slef sooth. I have never let one cry yet I have 5 independent kids that do it just fine and they learned on their own. Self soothing is about maturity, it doens't need to be taught. And you can't teach a 1 month old anyway.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2009