My 6 year old is TOO outgoing. He will talk to anyone, and has no fear of strangers.

He strikes up conversations with people all the time, telling them his name, age, his brothers names, where we live, all kinds of personal information! I have warned him about "stranger danger", but he thinks he can tell who is nice and who isn't (and doesn't believe me that he can't!) I am worried about his safety, not to mention the fact that I myself am a private person who gets uncomfortable when we are in the checkout line and my son begins to tell our life story to the person behind us! I don't want him to be afraid of everyone he sees, but I want him to understand that not everyone is trustworthy! Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sometimes you have to scare them a little when they aren't scared of anyone. My son is like this too. In my area, there is an online database of sex offenders, with pictures of them. I took some of the nicer looking ones, the ones that if you saw them, you wouldn't suspect they were sex offenders, showed them to my son, and asked did he think that was a nice person. Of course, he said yes. So then I told him that no, that was a bad person that had hurt a child, or hurt a woman, or whatever. Then, I found some random pictures online of people who looked kind of mean, and told him that those people hadn't done anything bad (even though I didn't know that-they were just random pics from sites that I found). I explained to him that you can't assume since someone looks nice that they are nice and that's why you can't tell strangers all kinds of stuff and don't talk to strangers without mommy.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You know, this may not be a bad thing. People that wish to do harm to children will often look for children that are quiet and unlikely to shout or resist. Your son would have no problem telling a stranger no - or running to another stranger to ask for help. It is good that he speaks up.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 21, 2009