Baby oil for earwax?

My 7month old had some major earwax issues lately. I have to swab him once sometimes twice a day (I'm careful not to use the swab in the canal) I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get the wax out without using swabs that would be safe.

My Aunt told me she used a couple drops of baby oil in the ears to soften the wax then when she bathed her daughter, the wax would float out...

Any advice?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 6:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard that also....
    Just a FYI....baby oil is very dangerous and can kill a child if a small amount is ingested....just be very carefull with it around your baby and store it way up high.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you talk with your pediatrician and see what they recommend? Babies can be so fragile that I would just want to be safe.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My pediatrician suggested filling up a bulb syringe with water at bath time at spraying it in the ear, then once bath time is over wipe out the leftover wax with a washrag or tissue. You can also ask the pediatrician to clean it out at the well baby checkups. They have a tool that gets right in there and cleans everything out, then you get to start fresh on cleaning it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Baby oil doesnt sound right to me... but who knows. Just get the wax you can see. If it seems to be painful, the ped can remove wax (but dont do it unless its painful because its a painful procedure)...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2009