Should a 7month old need to eat multiple times in the night?

Is it necessary if she seems hungry -- or have I created sleep problems by feeding on demand? My (almost) seven month old is breastfed on demand, and supplemented with formula as my supply is not adequate. (I'm fine with this, and not looking for advice as to how to increase supply.)
She began eating solids about a week ago, and we have seen no improvement in the amount of times she wakes during the night.
Many well intentioned family members insist that she does not need to eat at night, and that I am creating the sleep problems....
Your opinions?
She wakes up almost every 2-3 hours and eats at least twice during the night, sometimes three times.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby did the same thing around this age, and they are waking up for comfort not for hunger. Just hold her and rock or sing her back to sleep. With my daughter once she relized she was not going to eat she stopped waking up.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My 7 month old eats at least twice, sometimes 3 times during the night. I've asked about it and my doctor and my son's nurse have both said that it's normal. But he does sleep longer than 2-3 hours. He goes to bed at 8 and usually sleeps until at least 3, then is up again at 7, then usually goes back to sleep until about 9 or 10. Rarely he'll wake up at about midnight then at 3, etc.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Eating solid foods doesn't change how they sleep. Regardless of anecdotes, it's a myth.
    Eating during the night at that age is still totally normal, especially for a breastfed baby. The most you really can (and should) do is try to get a really good, long nursing session in before bed, to keep her fuller longer. Other than that, it's normal.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my little girl has always been just naturally hungry because her stomach is small, so she eats small meals/healthy snacks every 2 or 3 hours. She has always woken up during the night once maybe twice if she was in a growth spurt, and she is 2. I have finally gotten her to sleep through the night as long as I give her a snack like a piece of bread or a few crackers during story time right before I tuck her in. If I miss that snack she is up at least once for about 3 ounces of milk that night. I think it depends on the child, and personally do not think that denying a normal healthy (not obese) child food is necessary. JMO
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 6:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Baby appetites are voracious and insatiable just before a growth spurt. If they baby is hungry, you feed the baby. Always.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 7:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• when my son was 7 months he was waking every 2 hours for a 4oz bottle... i think about 7 months they have a big growing spurt. its normal, and soon your LO could be sleeping through the night and you will be waking up yourself wondering why they havent woke up yet and it will scare you and you will be checking to make sure they are still breathing! hahah i still do it
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2009