Is it normal for my 3 year old to pleasure herself??

I've recently discovered my three year old daughter doing things that "feel good" to her. I didn't want to yell at her and I don't want to discourage her from being comfortable with her body, but I really wasn't comfortable with it.... any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is absolutely normal. The proper response is that this is something that she should only do in private. Her bed and the bathtub are the only appropriate places for her to do this. It is very disconcerting. For her it is not sexual, it just feels good.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I would definately ask a doctor for advice.. I have no idea, but it doesn't really sound normal. Hope everything works out okay.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 7:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• well i can see if she's just noticing that there is something down there and i bet all kids do it, they are just wondering what it is down there, so its all good i think.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Probably not....haven't you ever seen that House episode? If you haven't i recommend watching that.

Seriously though talk to your Dr. I doubt it's anything to worry about
    Anonymous

• she sounds just like my little cousin right before my aunt took her to get checked....do you leave her with day care or a babysitter while you work? or with anyone besides you and her dad??? it sounds like there might be something going on she shouldnt know what "feels good" yet she is toooooo young to know this stuff and to be touching herself like that already!...I would talk to her and go have her checked watch her more often and see what else she does
    Anonymous

• it could be normal but it could be a response to being molested previously too. id ask the dr to make sure
    Anonymous

• I would not worry too much about her having been molested. Touching herself is normal, and there would be other signs. If you are worried, have a low key discussion about who is allowed to touch her there and that no one but her is ever allowed in her bed and things like that. DON'T LEAD HER INTO TELLING YOU SHE HAS BEEN MOLESTED. Then you will never ever know whether it's true. Just talk to her about what the rules are and good touch vs. bad touching. Then if she has been touched inappropriately, she will probably tell you.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2009