Sex offenders.....

A young mother mentioned that she is pregnant at age 16 by someone who is 18....in a post I wanted to make her aware that if she took the babies father to court for child support she may be opening a can of worms....because of his age he may be tried with a sex crim and have to register as a sex offender. I posted this because she has to be well aware of what might happen should she try and get money from the babies day through the courts.
I do not think he should be considered or have to register as a sex offender for something like this...this is where I feel Megans law is a bit gray, not every situation is black and white.
I went to school with a boy who at the time was 17 and got a 22 year old pregnant, the boys mom pressed charges against the 22 year old and now she has to register as a sex offender.....just another case of the law being a little gray.
What do you think????

LimoMOM5

Asked by LimoMOM5 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think if there wasnt an option of having your parent's opinion, young girls should be able to go to the courts and get what they need like child support, 16 year olds should be looked at as an adult since they are about to have a baby and become a parent themselves.

if the 16 year old girl was pregnant and her parents were involved and wanted to bust him, she should wait till she's 18 to make the best decision in court.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• every state is different when it comes down to that. I was 16 when i got with my boyfriend who is the father of my first child i was 17 when i had my baby but got pregnant at 16 right befor my 17th birthday. Now with that said my boyfriend was 18 turning 19 right befor our son was born. we split up while pregnant after the baby was born i took him to court for child support because there was less then 2years between us it was illegal. my mom tried to press charges there was nothing they could do. do i think a 18 year old who sleeps with a 16 year old should register as a sex offender NO but i could see why your friends mom was mad a 22 year old should know better. but at 18 they are still in school with these 16 year olds they are still very imature at that. what would a 22 year old want with a 17 year old? thats a bigger age gap.
    Anonymous

• I happen to agree. I got pregnant by my now husband when I was 15... he was 19. Our relationship was mutrual (sp) My mother tryed to put him in jail for SR, but at the time she tryed she found out I was pregnant and changed her mind...... She was only doing it, because she was mad that I wasn't going to be her religious puppet! Now she thinks my husband is the best man she could ever want for her daughter... even said he is the best out of my other sisters husbands.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• where are the parents?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• They could try to settle out of court... sometimes if both parties go to a mediator and are able to come to an agreeable arrangement then you don't have to go to court (but it is still enforced, just like whatever is decided in courts are). That may be a better option in this case, as long as both parties are willing to be civil.
    Anonymous

• I think that an 18 year old and a 16 year old shouldn't be allowed to have sex. There both immature and irresponsible. Neither one can handle the consequences of having sex. And yes, if a 20 year old has sex with a 16 year old, he or she should be arrested and charged. Sex is not something to take lightly.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 8:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2009