How long can I ride horses while im pregnant?

MyButtercup911

Asked by MyButtercup911 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pets

• I rode until I was no longer comfortable, around 7 and a half months. My OB/GYN said that as long as I was comfortable and confident in my horse there should not be a problem. Mind you, I was also not out on a spirited mount, rather I took my daughter's 16 yr old gelding out on trail rides. Also as I am sure you know, make sure someone is always with you. Use a mounting block too. Good luck.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• how far along are you?
    Anonymous

• Until you are nine months and ready to drop....just kidding! I did until I was four months, I started feeling not as coordinated so I didn't want to chance it. Also, ride the mellow ones, it's safer.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You can ride for as long as you want, as long as you trust the horse and you take it easy. If the horse you ride is spooky/jumpy/skittish, then I would stop riding right away because you don't want to take the chance of falling off. If your horse is laid back and trustworthy, then ride as long as you feel comfortable riding! Have fun!

Anonymous

• If you are used to riding every day, you can continue for as long as it's comfortable. You are pregnant, not turned into spun glass for the duration. I wouldn't start riding horses during pregnancy though, but something that you do regularly is usually okay unless the doctor tells you otherwise.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I've ridden since I was 5 years old. My doctor told me to ride until I couldn't get on anymore....well, he was talking to one determined horse-lovin' woman and I rode until just a few days before my babies were born. I prefer spirited horses but I also ride Western...my worst problem was having the saddle horn rub on my belly until my skin was a bit raw.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Hi, I rode up to 6 months on a very quiet mare, it was when my back started to hurt, I also had to switch from western to an english saddle because my belly would rub on the horn. But as long as you feel good and the doctor says its ok go for it . It was hard for me to stop but my son was very worth it. And as soon as I could after he was born I got right back out there.
    Rhea517

Answer by Rhea517 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2009