hi I have a 14 days old son .. i am a lil concerned about his diet .. he is never full with my breast milk even after if I feed him for an hour .. i can feel him swallowing , so that means he drinks well but even after an hour feed he is hungry in 15 min . so i am forced to give him formula . can u please tell me if this dual diet of his is ok and is this overfeeding?

baby_boys_mom

Asked by baby_boys_mom at 8:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if you feed a child until they're satisfied then it's not too much. I would be more worried about under feeding him than over feeding him, but you seem to be on top of that. Even though he's getting formula he is STILL getting breast milk which is GREAT!

You seem to know what you're doing and as long as you trust your own mommy instincts everything will be fine.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• He may be gassy and his tummy hurts...babies that age can't differentiate hunger pain for gas pain. So, he MAY think he's hungry. I would watch what's in your diet. Does he seem gassy at all?
    Anonymous

• DON'T GIVE THE FORMULA!!!! I made this mistake... my supply didn't rise to meet his demand because of the supplements, and it took a LOT of work to get my supply up later. Him being fussy doesn't mean he's not getting enough. Nursing for an hour... fussiness... sounds more like a colicky/high needs baby. I had one of those. You'll have to try different things to soothe him... You may have to feed him often and for a long time. I think I finally started cutting off dd at 20 minutes on each side, because I think she stopped swallowing after that. Then I'd wait another 45 minutes or so and nurse her again. Just really try to avoid the formula. Your body does/will make enough milk, but you have to feed on demand. If you're really worried he's not getting enough, count diapers. If he has 6-8 wets in a day, he's getting enough milk. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Also I would sign up for the "Breastfeeding Moms" discussion group on CafeMom. The moms on that group are really, really helpful and that really helped me not to give up!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If he's still hungry and you give formula your supply will go down. right now his job is to adjust your supply to his needs... plus at 2 weeks he's prob having a growth spurt.

early on can be tough sometimes - like sometimes it feel like you spend the whooole day nursing - but if you stick to it it's worth it when it balances out.

even if you end up doing some formula later on I really bbelieve it's too early now - your supply is still adjusting.
    Veela

Answer by Veela at 1:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• If your baby is hungry after nursing, then nurse more:) This will get your supply to increase to his demand. The supplements can damage your supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• please just keep nursing him because the more he eats the more your supply will go up. this is his and your job at two weeks old. literally. nursing.

if you supplement, your supply will never match his appetite. do not supplement.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Dont give the formula. Nurse every time he gets hungry. Supply and demand. The more you nurse him the more you make. If you start formula you wont ever be able to satisfy him on just bm alone. Good luck! COngrats on your new baby!!
    MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 8:42 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Contrary to what some think here some women just don't produce enough milk. I suggest you keep bfeeding, burp baby often and talk to your Pediatrician at baby's 1 month check up. If baby is losing or not gaining weight then that is what is important for the welfare of the baby
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Supplementing with formula will decrease your milk supply. Drink plenty of water and get brewers yeast tabs.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2009