Working hard to breastfeed...

I am having an absolutely miserable time nursing. I hate it...every bit of it. I am actually pumping and feeding most of the time so I can avoid it and enjoy feeding my baby. Here is the thing...I think my baby deserves it so I do it and will continue to do it. She has never had formula

Why is it when I ask a question about how to help ease the situation, people immediately tell me to stop nursing and switch to formula.

It convinces me that few women ACTUALLY have a medical reason not to nurse, and most just give up on it. When I am making myself miserable to give my baby the best, it drives me nuts.

Anybody have some actual advice about how to help improve nursing for me? I would prefer to only nurse at night and to give bottles during the day but pump less often and still make enough...is there a way to boost my milk supply?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pump exclusively and I have had some luck on pumpingmoms.org. They have some recipes for different drinks that have yeast in them that can help you boost your milk supply and maybe go longer between pumpings. Good job for doing what is best for your LO and not giving up!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Are you working during the day & thats why you are pumping? The best thing for your production is your baby. babies have a very special suck that the body responds to & makes milk for. Pumping may get alot of milk, but not 1/2 as much as your baby can... Also a baby (with its special suck) can get more milk from you than a pump can EVER get.... Also when ever you are nursing, make sure your baby is fully emptying one breast before switching to the other.. it will tell the boob to MAKE MORE! Make MORE! (lol)
    Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water & staying well hydrated.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Also, I dont know how long you have been nursing but keep up with it for 2mo. 2mo for some reason a magical number... It took me 2mo to get it down, and most books you read say that after 2mo things will go alot smoother
    Also, bottle feeding for a newborn may not be best (if you can not do it) because sometimes baby can get "nipple confusion" and forget how to properly suck on the breast, they also get lazy because a bottle is less work..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I'm not targeting anyone...I'm saying I've posted unbiased questions about breastfeeding before and get overwhelming responses to just give up SO I DIDN'T WANT TO HEAR IT AGAIN THIS TIME. I wanted REAL advice. Oh, and great, I read your post and see that you threatened to quit until someone fixed it for you...so I guess I'm doing the same thing without EVER planning on just giving up on it for my baby. Get out of my question. And yes, I think formula feeders are weak. I think that most of them just give up and want praised for it or something. I DO think you owe breast milk to your child, so yes, it goes with parenting and even if it makes you miserable, it is something you should suck up and do. I can judge...that is the great thing about the internet...if you don't like something you can just jump online and complain about it.
    Anonymous

• P.S...thank you to the other posters.
    Anonymous

• No problem...it can be frustrating. I think its great you're not giving up. Nursing will help you boost your milk. Could you maybe do it on the weekends a lot to help get your supply up? It might give you a little bit more freedom to go longer between pumpings during the week.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I sure will...and I think you're the one that has a hard time hearing the truth.
    Anonymous