my son is 11 months old i would like to have him weaned off of the bottle be time he is a year old any suggestions

luvmommy42208

Asked by luvmommy42208 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• start introducing a sippy now. Put all of his formula into a sippy and give it to him at meal time. Im assuming hes eating more table food now, so formula isnt their number one nutrition source so its no big deal if he doesnt drink it all. At one year just throw the bottles away, its the best way. He may have a hard time with the sippy at first, just make sure you show him how it works, I taught my daughter by holding the sippy like a bottle at first to feed her, and shes 8 months now and completely off the bottle. Try the nubby sippys. they have a soft nipple that is like a bottle, so its an easy transition. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 8:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• We started around 11 months trying different sippys cups with breast milk or formula. We finally found one she liked after a couple of weeks of trying (she had been using the sippy for water for a long time... 4 months maybe? but getting her to drink milk from one was a different story. The one she liked to drink milk out of (she didn't love it, she still preferred the bottle of course), was a straw cup with a valve in it. We just threw away the bottles then and there. It was hard to give her the same amount of milk at first... I think she did drink less for a few days... but eventually she was taking regular feedings. Our doctors thought we were over-achievers because she was off the bottles by her first year appt... but we've always thought a more-or-less cold turkey approach worked well with a lot of things.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I never gave my son formula(or breast milk if you nurse) in a sippy. Only juice, water and milk. So when I stopped giving him formula at a year old, he just stopped getting bottles at the same time. No issues, no complaints, just started using all cups. I even panicked when he had an ear infection at about 12 and 1/2 months and wouldn't eat, gave him some of the little bit of formula I had left in a bottle just to get nutrition in him and he still had no issue going back to just sippy cups when he felt better. Good luck to you!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2009