Switching to formula?

We might be switching my 6 m/o from breast milk to formula.

If/when we do what is the best way to go about doing that?

Also, we have a sample can of similac advanced in the blue can, if we used that then bought a different brand would that bother her?

We're hoping to use the Kirkland brand if possible, has anyone used that and liked it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would reccomend mixing the milk and formula together, with more milk in the beginning and gradually going to more formula, so she can adjust to the taste. As far as the formula, all babies are different and react differently to different formulas. I tried all the major brands and thought i had a good one with Good Start (my son had reflux and was the spit up king!) and for some reason, I decided to try to Parent's Choice gentle formula (Wal-Mart's version on Enfamil Gentlease). Oh man, I was kicking myself for waiting until he was 8 months old to try it! There was so much less spit up and I was saving $10 a can! As far as the Kirkland, do you have any friends that use it? Maybe you can get a small amount from them to try first, so you don't get stuck with a huge can if your baby doesn't do well with it. But all that aside, I would try to keep nursing if you can, I wish I had made it more than 6 months with my son. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• its best to switch slowly...start w/ one bottle of formula a day, the rest BM. then slowly push the formula & pull back on the BM. i would think it would be easiest to give the formula bottle when your LO is hungry, but not tired or having just woke up. basically at a time when he/she would be least impaired by it.

when we started the switch my DD was around 1 mo. we used the sample cans of similac & didnt have any problems w/ it, but we switched to Nestle Good Start b/c its cheaper. my DD had some constipation when we switched, but it wasn' unbelievably painful for her. i dont anything about Kirkland, ive never heard of it.

Good luck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It's best to not switch at all. There is no "good" formula. There is only what BABY A tolerates, what BABY B tolerates, what BABY C tolerates, etc. Formula is bad stuff so avoid it if you can. If the problem is with you personally nursing, look into a direct milk donor or milk bank. There is a group here called share milk. I think yahoo has one as well.
    Anonymous

• what other people used does not matter. it just means their kid handled it ok. so formula suggestions won't do you any good. it's not natural and unnatural side effects are to be expected. only switch if you really really really have to. and if so, do it very slowly.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• The question here isn't whether she should use formula or not it's how best to switch from brst milk to formula. But to respond to jus1jess, I was adopted and raised on formula as were my brothers and we are intelligent and successful people. My health is pretty much perfect * knock on wood*. So the theory that somehow your harming your child by putting them on formula is not well founded. What everyone else said seems to be correct. Each baby reacts in a diff. way to formula. Mine was EXTREMELY gassy so we were told to use Alimentum and it was a life saver! Her colic pretty much dissapeared overnight, it was a miracle.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 2:11 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Correction it was Anon not jess who made the ignorant comment about formula. sorry jess
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2009