i am prego and have a cat ..... what are the risks?

rOEY802

Asked by rOEY802 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
  • Don't change the litter and you'll be fine. If you must change the litter, I'd suggest wearing a mask and disposable gloves.

Answer by Bmat at 9:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• yeah have someone else change the cat litter.
    brittoh

Answer by brittoh at 9:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• only thing that can hurt the baby is the cats urine just do not change the litter or whip up any cat accidents other wise you will be fine cats are very good with babies so no worries
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 9:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I had cats while I was pregnant with my middle two. Best thing ever because I automatically got out of litter box duty, lol. Pretty much the big concern is cleaning out the litter box.

Also be careful of scratches (which goes for any time). My mom got "cat scratch fever" in her 40s when the cat accidentally scratched her. She was really sick and ended up in the hospital. Funny but that scratched me millions of times growing up and I never once got sick but it's still something to think about.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If you've been around cats most of your life, chances are you've already been exposed to Toxoplasmosis (the issue with cat littler boxes), so even changing the cat box isn't going to be an issue for you. Of course it's best NOT to do it, but if you have to, just make sure to wash your hands really well afterwards.

I've always been around cats, and I worked at a pet hospital when I was pregnant with my oldest, where I had to change the littler boxes for the boarding cats in the morning, and my OB was never concerned.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2009