Allergic reaction to meds

My 19 month DD was diagnosed with Strep and was given a shot of Penicillin, that was Wed. Well today she broke out in a horrible rash, not hives, all over her face, neck, arms, belly and back. Does this sound like an allergic reaction? What should I do?? I put a call into her pedi's 24 help line, but haven't heard nothing back. Her twin sister was actually diagnosed with strep today and given the Penicillin shot. I've never dealt with anything like this before?!?!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Health

• It could be an allergic reaction, strep can also cause a rash though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It could be scarlet fever, take her to the ER. Either way she will need to be seen to determine what is wrong. The scarlet fever will be cleared up with antibiotics. My son is allergic to penicillin and he got a nasty rash but it was more like hives.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• lol, i think "she has a rash and strep" to it could be scarlet fever is quite a jump!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• everyone in my family is allergic to penicillin. I have seen it as rashes, hives,blisters, and welts. you can get a rash with strep though.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Thats what happened to my dd with amoxicillin she broke out in a real bad rash took her to the dr and said not to give her aymore cillins and gave her a new medicine and something to help the itchiness of the rask
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2009