I know this is a crazy question but I want to be prepared.....

My DS is 7 months old and I know it is probably to early to be trying to take him off the bottle.. But I want him off of it by his first birthday. So when would be a good time to start transfering him over?

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• start giving him cups during the day and bottles at nite , make cups fun for him.!! by the time hes one he should be completley used to them and when ur ready to take him off 4 good take the bottles away and get rid of them ... do not back down he will learn it mite take him a few days but eventually hell only be on the cup!!!
    MizzMarla

Answer by MizzMarla at 9:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You can start giving him his formula in a sippy cup at any time. I started with my son at 10 months but I know people who have started as early as 6 months.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• you can let him play with a sippy cup to get used to it but for my kids it was seamless- the day they turned one the bottles went in the trash and the sippy cup was all they had.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Anywhere between 10-12 mths is good. Try sippy cups, they have the new ones with lids just as soft as bottle nipples...cant think of the name.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• when he's 1. why rush?
    Anonymous

• A bottle is a bad habit to start. Sippy cups aren't much different as far as dental problems. They're also hard to take away. I see elementary aged kids that use them just like baby bottles for milk to fall asleep. Whatever you do, try for regular cups and straws as soon as you can.
    Anonymous

• Actually, sippy cups are better than bottles, and children should be off bottles by the time they're 1. I just asked my dentist if my 4 year old should be off sippy cups and he said it made no difference what they drink out of, but rather how often they drink. (If your child sips juice all day from a sippy or a regular cup, then that's no good.) You can start a sippy cup now...you'd be surprised how easy they take it.
    Mom2Girls1230

Answer by Mom2Girls1230 at 2:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son sucked a paci until 2, drank from a bottle until one, and drank from a sippy cup until 4. His teeth actually had an underbite. Quite the opposite of what everybody thinks will happen to teeth. The reason for getting them off the bottle is because most people let them fall asleep with them and they have milk just sitting around their teeth rotting them. Not because it will cause developmental probs. And, I wouldn't give a straw either. You can't clean them out good enough. YUCK!! Imagine all the built up germs. Just make sure you don't let them fall asleep with milk in their mouths...which can even happen with sippy cups.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009