How do you meet new people in the neighborhood?

Hey, when I was young, it was nothing to meet new people. You just walked over and asked if their kids could play. Our world is so different now. How do you meet and get to know your new neighbors or do you just stay to yourself? What's too intrusive? Do you expect people to come over when you move to a new area? People just seem to want to stay in their own world today...do you see that too? I miss not having neighbors that were friends...

CG303

Asked by CG303 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I made cookies and took my kids around to meet people. I wanted to meet everyone and see if they had any kids. We moved into a new development where all the neighbors were new...it was a nice ice breaker. I don't ever see people outside....I noticed that! When I see kids outside I send my son out there to introduce himself.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My husband is good about this. He went out to meet all of our new neighbors when we moved in. I just invite them over for tea once in a while.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I stay to myself, my neighborhood sucks!!! And most of them don't speak English anyway.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I would just walk up to someone outside and introduce myself to people and let them know i am new around....ask them what their interests are and things like that... i was working in sales so i am used to walking up to people and just start conversating... :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I pretty much stay to myself, but if I see something eventful happening then I make the effort to be nice.
    For instance, I noticed that our neighbors across the street got married (signs all over their car and front door) so I bought them a card, signed it from our family and said congratulations, and put it in their mailbox.
    At Christmas, we personalized Christmas cards for the neighbors closest to us that we see, but don't know, and hand delivered them on Christmas Eve. We had so many neighbors knocking on our door that night with cards of their own and one neighbor gave us some home-baked cookies.
    Now, some of us say hello regularly!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2009