• In the Spotlight:

What is attachment parenting?

mazonmom

Asked by mazonmom at 9:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Please ignore those ignorant, assanine answers above. Cowards who don't know what they are talking about like to judge behind their anon buttons. Attachment parenting is basically following the childs cues to determine what they need. Preferably breastfeeding, but also allowing the child to eat when they are hungry, only what they need. Co-sleeping until the child is ready to sleep on their own. Wearing your baby so they feel safe. It is hands on parenting, like our ancestors did, you know, back when children were not spoiled brats. I am AP and I can assure you my children are very well behaved. They drive me crazy sometimes like normal children and then I look at other children and say "damn I have it good! my kids are awesome!"
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Breastfeeding. Co sleeping. Cloth diapering. No CIO. SAHM. Anything that supposedly makes the baby super-bonded to the parents.

So that means no working. No day care. Nothing like that.
    Anonymous

• make sure u start with orgasmic birth.
    Anonymous

• Spoiled, poorly behaved children, you know the ones that are throwing fits in the stores that make you so crazy you want to leave?? Yeah those are it..
    Anonymous

• Attachment parenting is defined in a whole variety of ways. It is allso refered to as "secure attachment" As with anything, ther are the extreams and the missinerpretation. The main idea is that your parenting fosters a close bond with the child so that he or she can develop in a secure and emotionally consistant enviorment. You can have those things and not follow all of the "rules".... like.. you can have a close personal bond and formula feed, or not co- sleep, or ...oh no.. even spank. Down to the bare basics its about having a close personal and secure bond with your child.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree with Tanya. AP is being a natural parent. It's accepting that babies and children are HUMANS with human emotions that need human stimulation and deserve RESPECT. It's not viewing your kid as a spoiled brat and wondering why they don't eat/sleep when you want them to like what I call convenience parenting. I consider AP following the bioLOGICAL norms. Nature made our bodies to give birth, make milk, feed our young til they say when. We have maternal instincts that tell us to answer to our babies. Not make them cry for "independence". We're meant to have a strong bond with our kids and keep them close with slings during the day or safe and comfy in our beds at night. It's just following nature's plan.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Attachment parenting is about fostering a bond between you and your child. There are many ways to do this. As an adoptive parent, I have had to do this with 3 children who came to me at different ages. You can still discipline, sleep in their own beds & CIO. Make time to spend one-on-one quality time together. This fosters an attachment.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• anon 6:59, every thread needs an ignorant asshat, thanks for volunteering!
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• The others did a good job of explaining AP so I wanted to give an example. My son and my nephew are 13 days apart in age. I AP my kids and my SIL is the opposite of AP. Well at 3.5 years old my child is the more well behaved and better mannered child and that isn't me talkign that is my SIL asking me how I get him to behave! My other sister who has no plans for kids any time soon has told me repeatedly she wants me to give her advice when she does because my kids are just so happy and good!! Those spoiled brats are from parents who don't discipline which happens with AP and non AP groups.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Thanks for the answers ladies!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 10:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009