How can I keep my son off my belly?

I am 7 weeks pregnant AND have an 18 month old (TJ). TJ loves to lay up under and on me. He especially loves my belly. He likes to play with it, crawl over it, pat it, lay on it and anything else he can think of. He has been this way since birth. How do I keep him from hurting the baby? How do I tell him he can't cuddle with mommy while I'm pregnant. I have tried no-no, attempting to explain that there is a baby in my tummy and just moving him when it looks as if he may hurt my belly. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Holding your toddler isn't going to hurt the baby. Even if he jumped on you at 7 weeks the chances of him doing any damage to the baby are slim (you might be worse for wear).
    When I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter my then 8 month old son decided to do a belly flop onto my stomach. I was 4 months along and he weighed at least 22lbs by then. Hurt like hell but the baby didn't even flinch. She was born many months later normal and healthy.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• For him to hurt the baby he would have to hit you hard enough to do serious damage to you as well. I mean dont let him jump on you or anything but cuddling and laying on you is okay. As the baby gets bigger it wont be comfortable for him anymore and he will stop.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• he can still lay on ur belly he can not hurt the baby i had the same worries when it came too my moms dog he has this need to lay on me any time i go over there so i asked my ob and she said it wouldn't hurt me at all unless he was too jump on me very hard or something
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 10:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree with previous poster. Unless you already have specific orders from your Dr already, normal activities will be fine. I too had a snuggler,crawler, wrestler when I was pregnant w/#2, and he turned out FINE!! Go about your NORMAL day ! You are only pregnant,,,, not breakable!
    frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You'll be fine. I'm 22 weeks and I still carry my 5 yo sometimes. He is big enough that he hits my belly and it hasn't hurt the baby. When I had my second my first (15mo) was climbing all over me as well and it didn't hurt the baby.
    Anonymous