How and when did you start introducing a sippy cup?

DS is 6 1/2 months old.

lvlymummy08

Asked by lvlymummy08 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started giving juice in a sippy cup at 10 months or so. You can start whenever you want. Just buy the low flow cups. You might try starting with the soft spout cups.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I tried at 6 months and he wouldn't take it. He just chewed it. I waited a couple weeks and all of a sudden he got the hang of it. He only gets it maybe once or twice a day when I give him a few ounce of water or juice after a meal. He still gets his formula in his bottle.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I started at 6 months she was completely off a bottle at 10 months....I babysit my niece she is 7 months uses sippy cup for juice she has used sippy cup ever since she started juice
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I forgot when I tried, but I gave up. She took to straws way better. Sippies are no good for oral development anyway. They're a lot like bottles. When you try cups, stick to milk water. Don't let it force you into using juice. Babies don't need it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Well now they have these new cool sippy cups, where you can introduce your baby sippy cups at a early age. But i started my kids at 8-10 months.
    brit041

Answer by brit041 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i started at 6 mon with my 3 yr old... then at 10on she had no bottle at all only sippy....
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 11:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• 6 months...just handed it to her and she took it luckily! :) good luck!!
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 12:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i started mine about 5 months old.. my doctor said that when they can hold a bottle without help and very well, and are sitting up without any problems, you can introduce them to a sippy cup. Be sure to get a slow drip on.. you can also try nuby's sippys.. they have a soft end, that is similar to a nipple so the transition is easier for the baby. When they start to get teeth try switching to the nuby with the straw, to help protect their teeth.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I can't remember when I introduced a sipi cup, but, my daughter was 7.5 months old when she started using one (with handles) but only drank water out of it...she was breastfed until 14 months old. I started weaning her off the booby at 11 months and then started her on the bottle for organic whole milk in place of the boob. 7 days ago, I threw away all the bottles and just gave her milk and water out of sipicups (without handles). She will only drink the water out of the sipi cup and have only drank about 8 ounces of milk in the past week. She refuses milk...like she only thinks it should come out of the boob or bottle/nipple. She drinks plenty of water and eats plenty of calcium enriched foods...so, I'm not too worried. Anyway, I got off track, LOL. I'm pregnant, excuse me, haha. So yeah, my daughter's pediatrician said as long as she's off the bottle by 18 months, she's good. You still have time. Good luck!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:24 AM on Mar. 21, 2009