Does sugar go bad?

I make sweet tea (a gallon just about every other day) and the last 2 gallons I have made taste funny. The bag of sugar is a 10 lb bag and there is probably only a few cups left in it. I've had it about a month and all I do is fold down the bag to put it back in the pantry. I'm going to get a sealed jar for it ASAP since this has been happening but I'm curious if sugar goes bad.

mommy_morton

Asked by mommy_morton at 10:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Sugar doesn't go bad but if you have a strong smelling thing around it, it might absorb some of the smell.
    Anonymous

• It absorbs water and gets clumpy. It's more likely the tea has gone bad. Tea absorbs water and can mildew or even mold.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I don't think so but it will attract bugs.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It wouldn't be bad in a month. Check how your water tastes, but I suspect the tea is bad. Try making some tea without the sugar and see how that tastes. I agree about sealing the sugar in an airtight jar. Whenever I open a boxed food I store it in the refrigerator or in a sealed jar to keep bugs out.

Answer by Bmat at 9:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You should keep your sugar in an air tight container to keep it from absorbing other flavors.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Noo sugar doesnt go bad .. its kinda a natural preservative .. it could been the tea im thinking
    Luckyme3487

Answer by Luckyme3487 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009