induction.

i'm getting induced on sunday night and i would like to know what to expect.

anyone have one?

and don't bash me i do have a medical reason.

mommy2be32509

Asked by mommy2be32509 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Here was my experience- I checked in the hospital at 6 a.m. The started putting the gunk on my cervix to thin it out. They started an IV of pitocin. The contractions began about 45 minutes later At 8 the doctor came and broke my water. Shortly thereafter I received my epidural. At about quarter til 11 I was ready to push and had DS at 11:24. It was a great experience for me.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I was induced because of medical reasons. A lot of women told me the pain was awful, but I didn't think it was that bad, no worse than normal labor. The medicine made me nausea though, that was probably the worst part.
    Anonymous

• I was induced and ended up having a c-section 24 hours later! They give you pitocin to start contractions. It didn't work for me, no pain either, thank god. Good luck to you.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I was induced with my daughter 3 years ago. It is actually pretty common. You will go in and they will break your water. They will most likely start an iv for pitocin (sp) to help with your contractions. I went to the hospital at 8am and my baby was born at 4pm. Relax and you'll be fine! Congrats
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Both my boys were induced. Expect it to be quick. Get the epidural on time which you should being that the pitocin will get contractions moving and they will get you an epidural quickly under these circumstances. Serious cramp-like feeling (contractions) and then nothing. I feel happy for you. Induction was a breeze for me, both times. I checked in at 8AM and had a baby at 10AM. It was lightning fast! Don't worry about it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• When they hooked up the pitocin my sons heart rate dropped so it had to be turned off. They broke my water at 8, I had an epidural at 11 and had my son at 2:27. Aside from the pitocin not working for me it was a good experience.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I was induced because I was 6 days late .
    Check in at 7am and got into my room at 8am given potosen (?) at 8am as well nothing happened till 1-2pm when they broke my water evern then contractions didn't start till about 7ish then I didn't push till midnight and pushed 2 hours and 17 minutes.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Well, I was induced due to preeclampsia and my daughter being smaller than she should have been (low fluid). My doctor did a slow induction.I went in at 12 pm on a Monday. They did cerivacil (?) in my cervix nothing really was happening. They added poticin Tuesday night with another cerivacil and things started happening. My water broke on its own Wednesday morning around 5 am. Labor really started around that time. Got a epidural around 6 cm and after 6 hours of labor including 3 hours of pushing I had my daughter at 11:26 am.
    I guess it really depends on how and why your doctor is inducing how your experience will go. Good Luck and Congradulations on your baby!!!
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 11:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I had pitocin... no epi...
    i went from being "just chillin" to in full labor in 1.5 seconds.... I labor for a while but didnt have to push for long...
    also Ive never heard anyone talk about this.. but the second before i had my first contraction my cervics poped.. the nurse says its very normal... you can hear it & feel it.. it doesnt hurt very much but hearing that is scary if you dont expect it..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my ob/gyn offered to induce me at 39 weeks but I decided to wait till baby was naturally ready. he gave me a week then at week 41 I'd need to be induced. well a day before week 41 I think I self-induced myself. I performed reflexology by massaging my ankles which had nerves connected to the uterus. later that night SO and I had sex then BAM I had the hardest contractions everrrrrr. I was still only 1 cm dilated by the time the dr came to the hospital, so he injected me with petocin to help speed things up, and he broke my water. after the epidural my sons heart rate droppd after every contraction, and I was still noyl 1 cm dilated so I got an emergency c section
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009