I got a email today.. saying food stamps are going up in april.. Does this effect you?

I heard its about 20 dollars per person.. Obama signed it on the 17th..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't get food stamps.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Nope, I don't use food stamps. (stupid question, they aren't actually some type of stamp, are they?) Why would they go up? Are they preparing for inflation?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Yes, we got our letter today or yesterday. it was 18 dollars per person in our household. i dont know what the standard is. the reason said that the federal maximum was increased.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• YES it does because as a Tax Payer I have to pay for it in added taxes--and as a small business owner that means lay offs!!! That sucks--just ask the guys getting cut!!!!
    Anonymous

• I'm on food stamps for now, No its a card like a credit card.. it used to be stamps though, and the name just never changed. I'm glad it's going up, i hadn't heard that. My husband finally got a job, he had been searching for 2 months, but its not very good pay at all and they won't work him more than three days a week.. We're really hoping he can get a better job and we can go off food stamps. but until then we have to be on it, and we run out all the time because they won't count his daughter because she isn't living with us, but shes still there a lot and eats our food and drinks quite a bit... not saying she shouldn't, LOL!! just saying.. they should let us add her to the food stamps.. we have to pay for her too.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I don't know. It doesn't matter one way or another to us, they already give us too much (I shop VERY well, they give us $365 a month for a family of 5, I only spend about $200 a month). I even asked our caseworker if we could take less than they have alloted us and she said "no." It's either all or nothing.
    Anonymous

• MJ--you are the type of family that the program was made for--not those making it a lifestyle and generational. For you, I would say I am glad...
    Anonymous

• i get 436.00 for a family of 3... i alo work a fulltime job so, im happy they r going up. i know ppl on food stamps we all run out. even us smart shoppers!!!!
    Anonymous

lmao
    Anonymous

• Just another question, not judging, but more curious from what I have read from others. If it's in the form of a credit card, I am guessing you use it in the machine like a normal credit / debit card, right? There are some people that use food stamps that say that they get dirty looks and inappropriate comments from the cashiers at the stores. If it's a credit card, how the world would they know you are using food stamps instead of Visa?  Either way, I think it's crappy for them to comment at all.  Just wondering how they would know.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009