What is so wrong with....

giving a 4 month old water? My son drinks it when he just wants something to suck on, he hates his passy, but he eats 8oz + cereal at every 3 hours, my son is a big boy! He likes to eat so why is it so wrong to give water! (he's just 14 lbs)

rebel07

Asked by rebel07 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on how much you give him. If a baby drinks too much water it can cause water intoxication. It will flush the salt out of his kidneys. This sends a message to the brain that something is wrong and will give him seizures. Talk to your doctor about what is a safe amount of water for your child.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Nothing wrong with that!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• it's not good for what they are digesting. is he still on formula or breastmilk? it messes up how things break down. There is enough water in the mix with the cereal if you're doing formula or breastmilk that he won't need the extra water. and unless you're giving him bottled or filtered water, tap can really upset him...good luck
    Anonymous

• Theres nothing wrong with giving your son water. As long as he's eating and getting any where from 28-32 oz. of formula than he's fine.
    Babygirl24679

Answer by Babygirl24679 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• OP HERE- he formula fed, I couldn't handle the breastfeeding ( I know it's best but oh well he'll be just fine with the formula) :)
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• The infant body was made to consume nothing but breast milk until they've sprouted a few teeth and had more mature digestive systems. Water and artificial iron flakes are not good for them. Having a big baby doesn't mean you should overfeed him/her. My daughter was in the 98th percentile for weight as a baby and she was EXCLUSIVELY breastfed on demand til we started solids at 11 months.The AAP says no solids til AT LEAST 6 months and multiple studies suggest waiting longer is best. Babies only need milk. Water is useless to them. And in some cases, harmful. Ever heard of water intoxication?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• oh well he'll be just fine with the formula) :)

what a terrible, apathetic attitude to have towards your child. do some research and find out why you shouldn't give infants water. don't just assume he'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• If you give your kid infant water, then he'll be fine. There is nothing wrong with it. I'v been giving my son water and formula since birth and he's getting ready to be 10 months old on the 22nd
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You have to be careful not to give too much water, it can cause seizures. The electrolyte balance gets messed up. Ask doc about it if you need more info.
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT AT ALLL.... my son is 2 months and he has water and juice... soo... nothing... and my little selena when she was that little... did it too...but there poc did tell me not more then 4 oz aday... un till thay r 6-7 mon...
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 11:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2009