Havana is turning two In a week . she still walking with some aid. we give her one hand she walk at therapy shell walk with just a hold of her button on shirt, at home she pushes toys and walks she has low muscle tone, her therapist says she almost there. my other worry is her speech , she used to have more now it only sing language... when will it come ?

Havana has has low muscle tone but with therapy she gotten stronger , we see her walk but still needs to be pushing a cart or have weights on in therapy. if we hold her shirt button she walk, totally letting go not yet even though her therapist says she almost there, her trunk needed so much work, the improvement is incredible we get so anxious friends freAK Havana also lost her speech. it came early but she had a full year of ear infections and two tubes operations. she knows about ten sign language. She understand many words we say . HAVANA IS is behind.
All i want to know is is this developmental stages going to catch up so she can enter school at five? . Can mommies that had no other diagnoses except muscle tone explain this to me? thanks and share anything else you may want to know. she had MRI . fine she had normal chromosome test haven't had genetic TESTING OR DEVELOPMENTAL PEDIATRICIAN .

youmakemydreams

Asked by youmakemydreams at 11:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• con't
    Our story...My twins were born at 32 weeks, we did every test imaginable but still have no diagnosis. They did not talk until almost 5 and did not walk until almost 3. They are now 11 and although they are not caught up are progressing at their own rate. They are happy healthy children and I have made peace with where they are. I tell you this to say that whatever happens with your daughter there are services out there to help you and her. And to hope that whatever comes you will be fine.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• So she's in physical therapy...what about the other areas? Is she receiving OT? What about speech therapy? If she's that developmentally behind I would think she would qualify for the other services as well.

Low muscle tone and the ear infections could both contribute to a speech delay. My concern is that you said she was speaking but then lost that ability to speak....

My second receives speech therapy for an articulation delay...due to low muscle tone (oral motor).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:35 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Just because she is behind does not mean she cannot enter school. In many states she could have been in early intervention already. You can still get her into special education preschool she will recieve services there as well as have opportunities to interact with other kids and adults. Ask for an evaluation, this will tell you if there is something going on. I'm concerned too that she has lost some speech. Sometimes it is just that they are concentrating on motor skills and the language skills drop off. When you use signs with her continue to speak the words. Repeat back to her what she signs. If she signs milk then say do you want milk and then give it to her. That will reinforse the association between the sign and spoken word.

cont'
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009