Baby proffing?

What all should I do to baby proof my house and, when should I do it? When he starts crawling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started baby proofing as soon as possible because the time goes so fast when you have a baby, that before you know it, they are into the cupboards!

Look online for advice on baby proofing, or ask the fire department for help.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• http://www.kidsafeinc.com/

check out this site, it may help.. you should start now... it's less work you will have to do later when you realize they can crawl and you haven't gotten nearly what you need to proof the house.. I know that's what happened to me, and I ended up spending a whole day trying to buy everything at once, and having to go back 3 or 4 times for something I forgot, and they still manage to find the one thing you forgot, or looked over.. then you have to find a way to have the furniture in just the right places to help make it safer for them.. so yeah, I'd start now. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• BEFORE he starts crawling!

Get down on your knees and hands...everything you see, he can (and will) get in to! Move it, block it, cover it, nail it down...whatever it takes.

Do you want him opening that door? Put a cover on the knob so he can't? Want him in that cupboard? Put a child lock on it. Want him sticking something in that electrical outlet? Cover it!

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I've never had one that crawled early, so I start around 6 months (my earliest crawled at 8 months). A good time to get it done is when they start to sit. Then, when they start to crawl, you baby proof for walking. At least that's the way I do it. Stay one stage ahead of the baby. But like a previous poster said, your baby will find the ONE thing you didn't think of. Happens every time.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 7:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Be sure to get drawer locks and a anti-tip device for your oven. Even if there is nothing in a dresser or cabinet that can harm your child, they can climb the drawers or shelves and then it can fall on them. Ovens can severely harm a child if they climb on the door - it can tip forward and slam them in the door. My biggest investment would be in baby gates. This way you can keep him in a safe room while you use the bathroom, shower, cook, etc. without worry and without having to keep him confined in a small space, such as a playpen or bed. Playpens and cribs can be handy, but they learn to get out quickly.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2009