help...dd is sick

since last sunday dd has been sick w/ diarrhea. sunday and monday she vomited twice and the rest of the week it has been two-three soaked diapers w/ yellowish diahrhea. she doesn't have a fever and is drinking and eating. she doesn't like the pedialyte but she will drink water. she's been eating crackers,rice,bananas,yogurt. I tried giving her regular food today (mac/cheese...her favorite and just a little bit) within 15 min her diaper was full of diarrhea. I called the nurses line and they said as long as she isn't dehydrated than there is nothing they can do for the diarrhea. anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter just got over a virus and it sounds about the same as what is happening to your daughter. When I called my pedi the nurse said the BRATTY diet. Bananas, rice/ pasta, applesauce, toast/crackers, non sweet tea (I skipped that one..yuk), yogurt (no fruit) and yellow veggies (carrots, squash, etc). Nothing sweet (juices, candy, cakes). No fats (butter) and no dairy. With the pasta and rice boiling it with bullion (?) cubes makes it taste awesome. I would make my daughter for lunch mini-bow pasta w/ fresh sliced carrots boiled chicken bullion. She ate that up like crazy. Also she needs to stay on the diet for at least 72 hrs. I thought everything was fine with my daughter before 72 hrs was up and gave her some cheese BIG mistake.So I did it for a whole 72 hrs and it was gone! Oh, the nurse said just plain boil or baked chicken breast was okay too. Hope your little one gets better soon!!!
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 1:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Is her tongue dry? Lips chapped? Under her eyes sunken? Dry, ashy skin? How many urine diapers is she having in a 12 hour period?? More than 6?? How many runny diapers in those same 12 hour periods?? If she has all or some of these, take her in the be evaluated at the hospital. It can't hurt...especially if she is dehydrated. My son, then 14 months old, had Rota Virus...lots of vomiting, diarrhea...but he had a fever for a couple of days too...he was admitted to the hospital for a week because he had SEVERE dehydration. Dehydration is something you cannot be too careful with...GOOD LUCK!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Oh, and do the BRAT diet....Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Cut out the Yogurt, it can only make it worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Pepto Bismal for kids will help her. My daughter had that it was the rotto virus and she had a seizure from being dehydrated on Christmas Day when she was 2. Call a pharmacy or a nurse friend to give you the right dosage it will work fast.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• yes the hosp. discharged my daughter from hospital while she was still having diarhea that is how I had to find something that worked.
    white grape juice I hear is best on a sick tummy.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Juice and dairy can make diahrrea worse so you may want to hold off on the yogurt. It's hard to wait to it out but if she isn't any better by Sunday again I'd be on the phone with the pedi again, see somebody else if you have to.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Give her only water, stop even offering the pedialyte..the sugar will make the diarrhea worse.

Give her carbs and starches...all she wants. Nothing greasy or very fatty (mac-n-cheese has a ton of fat in it) Breads, rices, potatoes, pastas, crackers, etc. Worry about a balanced diet after she's bulked back up.

Yogurt is good to give her actually because of the probiotics in it. Milk is fine to give her as long as it normally doesn't give her loose bowels. (don't give dairy if they're vomitting, but it's fine to give for diarrhea)

Around here when they get the yellow diarrhea (and oh man the SMELL) it means rotavirus. The diarrhea is the worst part of it and can last for a couple of weeks. But! The next time she gets it, it will be a lesser case!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Gatorade or Powerade instead of peadialtye. I was told no milk when there is diarrhea, it only makes it worse, from my doctor. I also use Motrin and that helps. We have the same thing.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• thank you all for the replies. I stopped all milk and no diarrhea so far today (cross fingers) she ate pretzels and water and one banana. A little bit of Gatorade and she had wet diapers and she was dancing to some music earlier so I take it she's feeling better =). She's down for a nap right now but hopefully she'll get better soon. thanks again!
    Anonymous