Downs/Abortion ?

I just finished reading a fictional book about a family with a disabled child, the child had a completely different and unrelated disability but at one point someone in the book said that 90% of patients who find out they are carrying a Downs Syndrome child choose to abort. Is that really true? I tried looking it up online but couldn't find any statistics...I'm not wanting some kind of abortion debate here, I'm genuinely curious as to whether anyone knows if this is true or false.

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 1:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nobody knows??
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I found this info on www.abortionno.org

Why women have abortions
    1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).

That's all I could find for now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:42 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• No idea, but I would hope that it would be false.  I hate to think that some actually would do that, but 90% sounds really high.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Wiki says 91-93% as of 2002

this guy does too

The Catholics agree

That's all I could find.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:45 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Okay, I found this..... Previously, a Down syndrome diagnosis had to be made with amniocentesis, an invasive and expensive procedure that could result in harm to the developing fetus. Many American women, especially those under 35, elected not to have the test done for this reason. Of those who did, estimates are that roughly 80 percent of those who found out their child would have Down syndrome elected to terminate the pregnancy.

Wow, I really didn't think it would be that high.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Wow. Thank you to those of you that found the information. I am pro-choice but I can't lie and say that doesn't make me upset.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Oh man, I agree. it's ok to be pro-choice and still be upset by abortion, you know. Especially after reading in one of those links that up to 5% (I think that was the number) of feti tested positive for downs are false positives. Oh man...
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 2:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Hmm, I just read an article a few weeks ago from the UK that said many more women/families were opting to NOT abort Down's syndrome. I didn't keep the article but you may want to google it from the UK Telegraph news site.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Thats sounds about right. I had the choice of an amnio with this pregnancy b/c i had 1/ 150 chance of her having downs. When i did research it was about 90% that were aborted when parents found out. But i also read that there is a waiting list for families who WANT to adopt downs children. Which is something i thought about when i found out i had a chance. After a lot of prayer and my hubbys support we decided we will take whatever God gives us.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 5:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• it was my experience that even before I got my results back they were trying to sell me hard that abortion would be the best, easiest, most accepted option if my son had downs. so I can believe the 90% rate. my question is what is every one's ulterior motive to make sure there are less DS children in America?
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2009