Should you attend a church in the faith you were baptized? does it matter?

my husband, who is not the father to my girls, feels that since they were baptized lutheran they should go to a lutheran church. they want to attend a baptist church. I say it's the same god why does it matter? he says it's about faith and every faith is different.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:31 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You should let them check out other churches and make their own choice. As long as it is not a cult.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• That's my thought too! but hubby acts like it's a sin
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:41 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I was baptized Catholic. I'm no longer practicing...looking at the Episcopalian church instead.

No, it's not a sin to go elsewhere.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• He does love you kids but the truth of the matter is if its christian catholic or lutheran .Its brings the same messege in the name of god if you go to this church then your kids should fallow your faith .These girls can feel neglected and unwanted because they can as if they are not being excepted in the house of god .I am roman catholic and my boss asked me to go to her church she is presbiterian and my family goes every sunday .But if you want to give your husband a piece of mind go to the church with your husband and have a word with the father or reverend .And you will see that faith is the same regardles of the religion.as long as that is the one you fallow also they are your girls not his .Baptism a way of excepting your child to seen under the lords eyes and surendoring to his plans for your child .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 2:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It's not a sin god gave us free will for a reason. I believe taking that away expecially when in comes to religion is a sin. I'm personally not into organized religion cause I haven't found I I'm confortable in. If my kids choose something else I will support them. I read my bible and have a relationship with god. I don't believe going to a specific church or not makes you a sinner. However some people can be bull headed about church. So I'ld say talk to oh what is the head of the churches name sorry I was baptist mormon, but talk to him most of them will tell you to let the child explore other options, cause you can't teach them if they aren't interest. Even if they are going to another church at least they are learning about god. If the head of your church agrees ask him to speak with your husband. Good luck I hope I helped a little.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• hush is also right they're not his kids and all religions are esentially the same.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It has nothing to do with the "religion". They should be able to worship wherever they feel comfortable.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Each person should follow the spiritual path that they wish to follow, not attend the church their parents took them to as infants. If your children are enjoying a Baptist church & you are happy with the spiritual teachings be shared there, that is where they should go.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I dont think its a big deal however, I was raised that it was.

Basically because you are not getting "fed" as you would in your own church if you went elsewhere. That may lead to doubt or questions that arent necessary and could hurt your spirit or afterlife,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think it is about the faith, however they can be baptisted again in a baptist church if that is the church they want to attend.. most baptist churches like to wait until they are older anyways.. so this would be a great oppurtunity for both your girls to get what they want, and become closer to the faith they choose.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009