Does anyone have a child with Cleft lip or cleft palette or both?

If so what can I expect? Do I need to do anything special for them besides take care of him and love him?

queen_2_goddess

Asked by queen_2_goddess at 2:45 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my son Will just turned 9. He was born with unilateral clp. Whatyo can expect really depends on the cleft. Your baby might need special bottles. Please check out cleftAdovcate.org it is a great place for new parents.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My son was born with a cleft lip and palette. My advise for you is to meet with a craniofacial team before you deliver if you are going to have one doing the repair. They will be able to give you so much information and help you in any way possible.

We had to use special bottles and our son was sent to the NICU because they didn't know how to care for him in the regular nursery. So just be prepared for anything and everything. And make sure to take pictures before his lip and palette are repaired. You'll miss his wide smile.
    kagrant32

Answer by kagrant32 at 12:00 AM on May. 7, 2009

• My daughter was born 1.4.08 with a complete unilateral cleft lip and partial cleft palate. She has had 1 surgery (lip repair) so far. She is now 16 moths old and doing GREAT!
    monicalappa

Answer by monicalappa at 12:33 PM on May. 16, 2009