HELP!....

so my dd is almost 4 months and I know its too soon to try and wean her off of her pacifier....but she needs it to sleep...and in the middle of the night if she drops it, she wakes up. I have to get out of bed, go put it back in her mouth and then hope i can get back to sleep.....WHAT DO I DO??????

TNT8687

Asked by TNT8687 at 4:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wean her anyways. You do what you want its your child...I dont think it's too early to wean her off of it. Gradually take it away and let her cope she if she can get herself back to sleep. Maybe help rock her to sleep for the first week of weaning?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Why is it too soon?

That's when we took our youngest son's away. He couldn't keep it in his mouth. He had a weak suck and couldn't ever keep it in his mouth. I ended up holding it in there for 1/2 hour until he sucked himself to sleep....and then when he moved it would fall out of his mouth and we started all over again almost every hour. My older two didn't learn how to replace it themselves until they were over 8 months.

I just took it away. He cried..sure...but not for long until he fell asleep (and before some wench wants to go off on me I did NOT just leave him lie there crying until he slept) After the first night, he slept much better, and so did I.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• That's why I like having my babies in the same room as me, right next to the bed. I don't need to wake up fully to replace the pacifier. When my youngest was 4 1/2 months though, he outgrew the bassinet, so I put him in the crib in his brother's room. His brother was not even quite 3. One night the LO woke up crying for his paci. So groggily I go down the hall. The crying stops just as I get to the door. I look in, just to see what happened, and the toddler was in front of his brother's crib. "I give Mikey his "soosie" back" he says, and crawls back into bed. From then on, even though for weeks I would start there every time, that's what happened. I felt kinda bad unloading the responsibility on a 3 year old, but there was no point in me getting out of bed. He'd have it done before I got there anyway, lol.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 7:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Babies have a non-nutritive sucking need until at least 18months old sometimes longer. Maybe try a different pacifier that she will keep in her mouth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2009