What do you think of the new TV show "Toddlers & Tiaras?"

I am personally sickened by this show. How dare we teach our toddlers that #1) we need to dress and act this way to get attention and #2) we as adults would watch this - what kind of messages are we sending both directly and indirectly?

I think it sends terrible messages about self image at a RIDICULOUSLY young age.

Sorry to those who disagree but there isn't a single part of this show I agree with. Now I see nothing wrong with mommy and daughter sharing some pretty time in front of a mirror, where she learns to put on mommy's lipstick with help and knows this is a special treat, but to make it a norm and with so much pressure...that is wrong on so many levels.

leftcoastgirl

Asked by leftcoastgirl at 4:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's awful. I was in ONE pageant for my mom, and swore I'd never do it again. Why the f--k would you want a super-tan 4 year old with false teeth and padded breasts? Do they not realize what that (and the make-up) is doing to the sensitive skin of a child? Besides, who wants a 7 year old that looks like she's 16 (other than a f--king pedophile...)? Let kids be kids... children are beautiful when they are in play clothes with missing teeth and dirt in their hair.

And was anyone else weirded out by the mom who had her little girl dance with her mouth wide open?? It was a bit disturbing...

Ugh. Poor kids. They are gonna grow up having to constantly be reassured of their beauty and worth. :(
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 3:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i agree with you this show is all about money and kids getting there way ... letting them have fake hair nails etc.. This is why young girls are getting pregnant and this is also why you see men kidnapping little girls.... I don't like it they should take it off

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:54 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Its sickening I agree, I tuned in to see what it was and I was yelling at my mom about it the whole time how I couldnt believe they were forcing these poor babies to do what THEY wanted for stupid money. These kids are going to row up self conscious and hate their mommies.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree with you OP I think the show is disgusting and stupid!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i see the show as a glimpse into real life. i dont think its promoting or denouncing pagents, but just reporting on them. i do think that the editting does a good job of showing how many of the little ones dont like it and are being forced by parents (which i feel is so wrong). i watch it for shock value and for me it reaffirms that children should NOT be paraded around and judged by their beauty (often fake beauty!) my husband jokes that because i watch it that i will now want to put our daughter in pagents, which it does the exact opposite for me. if my daughter ever asked to be in a pagent i would discourage the idea.
    MommyJal

Answer by MommyJal at 11:41 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i love that show, and its a big thing in the south. thats what they do, and alot of it is for the money and scholarships and stuff like that.
    Anonymous