• In the Spotlight:

18 weeks and need help!

Ok so Everytime I have a hard BM i seem to loose a tiny piece of my mucus plug and I already adressed this with my doctor its been happening since like what 12 weeks at first he tried to tell me i dont get a mucus plug until further along until a researched it and told him diffrent lol and then he was like well Yeah but its nothing to worry about beccouse everytime it break off it regrows but I just think ITS WAY TO EARLY TO BE LOOSING MY MUCUS PLUG already Im Just about to hit 5 months ya know? It just worries me that im going to deliver a premature baby I dont want nothing to happen to my baby what should I Do?

xaviersmamacita

Asked by xaviersmamacita at 4:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A mucus plug DOES regenerate. Which means it does grow back.. Quit thinking you know more than the dr's. Go research mucus plug re-growth and it might ease some of your worries!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• im loosin little peices of mine too.im 29 weeks.i started loosing it at 22 weeks. it does regrow.my doctor put me on meds and gave me steroid shots just in case i do have preterm labor.i wouldnt worry too much. as long as ur not bleeding and have no contractions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes, a mucus plug can regenerate, but I disagree with "Quit thinking you know more than the dr's." Doctors have their own holes in knowledge and biases (pick up "Obstetric Myths vs Research Realities"). You should be researched enough to be able to tell the difference between new mother panic and your instinct that something isn't right; most Doctors don't believe in mom instinct or don't know how to distinguish it from that panic and will just ignore it.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i think that if ur doctor is ingoring what u are telling him then get a new doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• it may not be your plug . you can have a gooey discharge threw your pregnancy as well .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It does regenerate itself. I have been having bits of mine come lose, for about 2 weeks now. And its not just my normal pregnancy discharge. I am having that, as well has little clumps of green boogers almost. My midwife said I don't have a uti, and vaginal infection or anything else, its just little bits coming loose as it regrows and that it was nothing to worry about as long as there is no blood in it. (I am only 18 weeks as well)
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• keep in mind you dont know everything, i see you already have a child, but you do realize its different in every pregnancy? maybe your straining too hard? use stool softners. maybe that will help? good luck but keep in mind the doc has a license to say what they know, you dont.
    Anonymous