• In the Spotlight:

monkey for a son

I am sure it comes with the territory of being a toddler and a boy at that, but lately I have been contemplating if I need to RE baby proof or rather toddler proof my house! He is getting stuck everywhere, getting on the couch to get on the shelf to get such and such, its getting crazy! Do I really need to proof the house or should I enforce rules and how do I do that without being harsh?he's fourteen months.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Best advice I can give you is BUY A LOT OF L BRACKETS!!! These attach to the top & wall of things to keep them from falling over, AND bungie cord the TV to the wall somehow. My 29y/0 son AND grandson (12y/o) climbed EVERYTHING they could ! Now with 4 of the "curtain climbers " aorind, we nail everything down. I also install toddler proof latches on cabinet doors.

I saw a friend do the samethng, but left the tupperware cupboard open-able so her kiddo could "legally" get into something;)!
    Starnana

Answer by Starnana at 6:35 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Ditto what the pp said. The first thing I said when my husband brought the bookcase home, is "that thing is getting bolted to the wall". He looked at our son, currently climbing on the couch to get a better look, and said, "Yep". We toddler proof the stuff that's likely to be really dangerous, and enforce rules for the rest. At 14 months, that involves removing the child from what he is doing, with a stern no. Telling him, "that's owie" might help too, corny as it sounds. I had never said that, but my 3 year old informed his little brother of that one time. He looked at him for a little while, looked back at what he had been doing, and went to do something else. LOL. My son is 16 months.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 7:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My son is 19 months and climbs everywhere. Until he can do it safely you need to reinforce the rules. My 19 month old can now safely climb into his highchair by himself. He loves this and it gives him new freedom. However we now have to keep it in the kitchen when it isn't mealtime or he thinks its a toy. THey are all about exploring so help them to explore but make sure it is safe. As for bookcases we have a DVD case and shelf and they are currently on the back porch until he is older. Also have a safe place where they can play with anything and not get hurt. We have a play yard that encloses where we can play and not get hurt at all. This is also used for time-outs when he needs to be redirected or removed from a situation. it works wonderfully.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You can't stop this stage, but you can nurture it. He does need to know that some places are big No-Nos because he can get hurt. Maybe you can by a little play gym or set of some sort that will encourage him to climb all over that and hopefully lessen the climbing curiosity in dangerous places. Make time to help him get to things he wants to check out so he isn't doing it on his own. My son isn't that bad right now. He asks for my help to climb up and check things out and I help him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2009