I bottle feed my 3 week old brst milk and it takes almost 2 hours to feed her before she goes back to sleep, is this normal?

I was just wondering if I have to feed my dd every 3-4 hrs am I supposed to start timing at the beginning of her feedings? Does that mean even tho it takes nearly 2, 2 1/2 hrs to feed her and finally get her back to sleep that I have to feed her again in 2 hrs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uhm...I was told to feed my son every two hours. After they have completed eating then start the mommy timer over. I let my son nurse until he was done so in your situation let her eat until she is full(not crying for more). Does this help any? I remember being a new mommy I was so worried about how much to feed and when and its just so simple....just feed her when she asks for it...dont stress anything else...your pediatrician will let you know if you are doing anything wrong at her next appointment.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It should NOT take that long for her to eat! Anything longer than 20 minutes or so, they are burning more calories than they're taking in!

I had this problem with my youngest. He had a weak suck and it was taking one hour for him to take 2oz. We had to get a faster flow nipple because he couldn't suck through the slow flow. Our doctor was very concerned about it taking so long for him to eat...

Don't worry about the time between feedings...feed on demand. But 2 hours to take a bottle is WAY too long.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Try a faster flow nipple. My baby went from nursing to drinking breastmilk from a bottle at 3 weeks, and the stage 1 nipple was already too slow for him, we pretty much started with stage 2. And ditto on the timing. Baby knows when she's hungry, follow her cues.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 7:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Feed on demand and don't look at the clock. This is my experience ~ I would feed almost every 2 hours and that was from the start time of the feeding. I would breastfeed DS for around a half an hour (by the time you burp in between breasts and resituate) and then he would be ready again in an hour and a half.  I would say drop the bottle feedings and stick with just the breast (especially if it is taking so long for baby to drink the bottle).   Also, don't forget that the sucking is different for bottle feeding as opposed to breast feeding so that could also be adding to the long feed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i can absolutely tell you this is normal my son was the exact same way.my son ate every 30 min . eventually we discover he had a serious immature stomach and had reflux issues. best wishes
    kmsmommy430

Answer by kmsmommy430 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2009