Worried about my 1 1/2 week old little boy.

I know it's normal for them to be congested so I've been putting in saline drops and sucking that little nose so much that i'm waiting for him to turn to me and yell "STOP!" But my poor baby isn't getting any better and sounds even worse. I am going to take him up to the Peds this morning but they don't open until 9 and I don't find this to be an emergency to call them now but he just sounds really really horrible and want to know if there is any relief I can give him between now and then?? His boogers are yellowish...

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 6:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• sounds like a possible infection....try to keep his head elevated. You know when you are stuffed up and you lay down it gets worse? Dont over due the drops they can give him a bloody nose from drying him out too much...just be careful is all...as long as he can breathe you should be perfectly fine till morning.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I am editing my answer a little bit (sorry I am use to older kids). clear is good but yellow means they are fighting off infection. If it turns green then it is bad.

Hope he feels better
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 6:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• One thing I learned as a new mom...Pediatrician's really DON'T mind getting calls in the middle of the night--especially regarding new moms and very young infants--that IS their job. If you're concerned you have every right to call them, and ask your pediatrician whatever concerns you. Your pediatrician will tell you what you can do, if you should go to the emergency room, if you can come in before regular business hours, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Color doesn't matter.

Don't suck him out too often as that can inflame the nasal passages making it difficult for him to breath. It could be a simple cold. (they often sound worse than they really are) I'm sure the doctor will take a good close look at him for you!

It is also common for newborns to be congested...they're still working fluid out of their systems.

You've probably already taken him in by now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2009