For all of those on food stamps....

Don't worry - no bashing or complaining here -
Have you considered planting a garden? Or even container gardening? Or baking cookies from scratch and freezing them?
The reason I asked is DH and I were on food stamps 15 yrs ago for 3 months (he lost his job, my part time job didn't pay maternity leave) and because we had a garden, access to fruit trees, and because I loved to bake and can fresh fruit/veggies we made that 3 month allotment last almost a year!
I see alot of moms on food stamps state they only buy treats for their kids like once or twice a month, but by buying staple ingrediants at Aldi's and baking and freezing at home, we could make twelve dozen cookies for under 6 bucks!
Any one else had luck making food stamps last?

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 7:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Just an added note - you can buy seeds and vegtable plants with food stamps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I didn't know you could buy seeds and vegable plants with food stamps. It makes sense now but I just never thought about it. I have never been on them. Angel food ministries also I have heard has good food, with specialty boxes of meat and other stuff for good prices. they take food stamps also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We've bought the Angel Food Ministry's food before, not a bad haul for 25 bucks. It just had alot of processed food (mac and cheese, white pasta, spag sauce, frozen fried chicken) and we're trying to cut down refined carbs so we stopped buying it. But for value you can't beat it. Also, you can add packages to your original purchase (like a grill box of different beef cuts) for like 15 bucks and those were definitly a bargain.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• yes we do plant our own vegetables. cookies i am really not a baker when it comes to that stuff lol and it wouldnt stick around here long enough to freeze anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• fyi angel food ministries are not a good bargain.

my brother who is disabled, looked into this program and he gets a better deal, by budgeting his money with sales and using coupons and meal planning to make his income work.

btw the church gets a % of money from the angel food program.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 8:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Really? I have heard good things about angel food ministries. But I guess when you add it up, at least with my family, i would still have to buy a lot of other things from the grocery for the kids. They would die without fruity pebbles lol. I usually try to hit up aldi's for milk, and canned goods and some other things. But usually stick to walmart. I have auctually noticed some prices going down. Especially on milk. gotta love that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• How in the hell are you going to find a person on food stamps willing to get out and dig in the dirt, manage a garden, the bugs and diseases that go along with gardening and then cleaning and caring for all that is produced. Good idea on paper, but the people with gardens and living to supply for themselves AREN'T on food stamps.
    That type of person in no way resembles the one in the food stamp line.
    Not being crappy, just being honest.
    You can't grow twinkies on a vine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I happen to know several people that get food stamps and they all grow a garden to make the stamps stretch farther. It can be done in the yard or in containers on a porch, deck, or patio. Just because a family gets food stamps does not mean they are lazy or unwilling to help themselves. Not all folks get the handout because they just want to. It is a necessity right now for many, many families.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I grew up in a farming family. I unfortunately now, no longer have that space, but I get great fruits and veggies from my family all the time! It really does help out a lot, goes a long way. And then when the hauls come in, we can! I always have pickles, and jams, and canned peaches!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

Not being crappy, just being honest.
    You can't grow twinkies on a vine.

No, I feel you are being eh hmmm, less than polite, here. Many people are on food stamps trying to get off and work for themselves.
    BTW, I'm not.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2009