How do you find great events for you and your family for really cheap or free

On a very strict budget but staying home all the time is driving me completely nuts...I need to find away to entertain my children for very little money. Something besides watching movies ...we do that alot now as is...

chris_scott

Asked by chris_scott at 8:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Entertainment

• We have a local parents circular around here that I look at. Also, I subscribe to the city's parks and rec e-mail and get all sorts of info that way. There is lots to do w/o money that isn't necessarily an event. I think people lose site of that even the kids. Board games, yard games...flying kites, chalk outside, crafts...We have a dart set, the magnetic kind. Take a picnic and let them help you make the food to go with it. A lot of this stuff people think for the smaller kids, but I can say when I worked with teens, most of this was enjoyable to them as well.
    But, yes if you are looking for events specifically a local parent mag or checking into the mailing list for your city's parks and rec dept are good routes to go by.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 8:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• WhoFish.org
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I use the state tourism site. Alot of times the state parks have activities for kids that are free. Also, there are community activities in some areas. Also, many of the state park systems have hiking trails that you can use and all you need for that is a lunch and some time. Have fun and good luck.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You can use eventlister.com. I also check the local papers entertainment section.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I say this all the time-- Zoo memberships!! It will pay for itself in 1-2mo. if you take advantage of it. When we are low on money we pack some food up & head to the zoo with our membership card. All it cost us is GAS & at the end of the day DD is warn out, we all had fun, its educational & another great memory in the book.
    Look at your Parks & Recreations Site also. There is a kids directory also, ours is houstons kids directory, if you live near a big city try searching *your city* kids directory..
    What about Parks? In our area we have some HUGE parks that may have free live entertainment from time to time..
    Our local college also has stuff going on from time to time, small fairs & such. churchs too.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2009