Real American History

The question 'Is this a Christian Nation' - and some of the responses therein made me wonder where we're at in terms of interest in unabridged American History. One of the comments cited the treaty of tripoli and Joel Barlow- and a following comment said the treaty wasn't understandable by today's college graduates- and why should Barlow matter today, anyway??

So, I wonder- who is really willing to study our history in it's entirety? And who wishes to keep making conclusions about our Nation based on a slim and sometimes faulty understanding of our history?

Raintree

Asked by Raintree at 8:47 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It is hard to understand our history because so much of it has been changed in the history books to appease the ones that feel wronged in the past. Many events just are not important to alot of the younger people because they think it doesn't affect their lives of today. Our past may be in the past but it does affect how we are governed today and why things are the way they are. You have to know where you come from to get to where you are going.......
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• History should be taught like it was 20-30 yrs ago. Now days just about anyone can write a History book and have it taught in class. Half the stuff in these books is not even correct. Disgusting. I think they should go back to the old books to learn real history. I also think there should be more Government taught. Little snippets here and there and a semester in High school is not enough. The government is so complicated they should be teaching it age appropriately from grade school on. If you tried tpo read and understand today it's almost impossible to understand.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I'm willing to study. I'm married to historian ,so my questions get answered at home. But there are people who don't know anything about history, they will give you the facts how they see things or what they believe.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I enjoy learning/studying history. I'm skeptical of what I learn/read because I always think that whatever was written is someone's version of what happened.

I also get annoyed that Native Americans are only skimmed over in American history.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• OMG...Native Americans are SKIMMED over. When were you in HS? In American History I learned extensively about the Indians (the tribes, where each tribes regions were, their cultural aspects and their tribulations to slowly smaller territories), then we skipped right to the civil war (evil white people) then brief overview of the intervening years till we hit the Civil rights era (evil white people) that we studied extensively. Oh, we also learned this EXACT same way in7th grade too! I didn't learn the deeper aspects of American history until I looked into it on my own!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• LOL. Calm down. Obviously we didn't go to the same school.

You learned about them but where are they now? Tossed aside in shitty reservations and forgotten.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yeah...that is crappy. But that's not history...that's current events! lol. I will say that the Native Americans and the Irish descendants and the Jews show considerably more class than the African Americans who are still walking around like they were the only ones wronged throughout history and are still asking for $$ for what they didn't (their ancestors MIGHT) go through!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• They were forced onto the reservations in the 18 -1900's. That's history.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i love history always have and when i learn about it i research it and find many sources i dotn just stick to one book ,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Tossed aside in shitty reservations and forgotten.

Have to disagree here. I know of some VERY NICE reservations on some of the most beautiful land in our country. I don't like that they were forced to reservations, but let's not exagerate and call their reservations crappy. Some of them are on some prime real estate, even in this horrible market.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2009