What is going on? (The flu?)

My 4 yr DD has been sick a lot this flu season about 4 times in December, 2 times in Jaunary, 1 time in Febuary and this month she has a runny nose, but I think is from allergies she is on meds for, b ut anyway she was fine all day yesterday until my step sister left at 3 then she was wanting to lay around. I kept asking her if she felt sick or if her belly hurt she said no. She had no fever. But we went to the store she threw up about 4 times still no fever when we got home now she is acting fine. Was it something she ate? Although my 14 month old had throw up in her bed this morning, but acted fine then she ate a chicken nugget and threw up. She has no fever though don't even feel warm. She was sick back in Febuary she threw up once and then she had diareha back in Febuary. She has had diareha this time but it has been about 5 days now I thought it was from the ear infection she has and the cold and her teething.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• my daughter had this thing where she did not eat for like 5 days and had intermittent bouts of diareah, NO FEVER, and pretty okay behavior. I took her to the dr. and he wasn't concerned, he did tell me she had the beg. of an ear infection and brochontis but that she was not dehydrated and had reserves so to just keep offering gentle foods. B.R.A.T: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast (and in our case cherrios and crackers b/c it was all she would actually eat) also plain yogurt and switching to lactose free milk (which we already do) and ride it out.
    My son had it for a few days this week too and a couple of women I work with have been having stomach issues with no fever just lots of bathroom time etc.
    Make sure she drinks plenty of liquids and offer BRAT diet.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• So what is going on???? And I want to know can they still have a bug like that without the fever and if so if they have no fever are they still contagious
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It's hard to say, as you know. It doesn't sound like food, so I am guessing a virus. And if it is a virus then it would be contagious. Just to get this figured out, I think they should go to a doctor to find out for sure, especially if the baby has had diarrhea for five days. If she has an ear infection and isn't on med then she maybe should be, if she already is, of course, then the med could be upsetting her tummy. For peace of mind get them checked.

Answer by Bmat at 9:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Oh by the way I wanted to say that both of my kids have had the flu shot and my oldest still caught something she has been sick with throwing up 7 or 8 times she has had a cold one time and diareha one time. Then my 14 month old has been sick throwing up 2 times now and one time with diareha and she had the shot. Hubby been sick with 2 colds, diareha 2 or 3 times, and throwing up like probably about 8 times and he didn't get the shot. I got the shot and had diareha one time that lasted 3 days
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Here is whats going around us, maybe other places too. Headache for days, no fever. Throwing up and/or diahrea with or without fever. nasty cough without cold symptoms(i mean nasty) that may be allregies, throwing up without the diarhea, or diahrea without the throwing up.Its all going around, and it seems to be contagious.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• She is on meds and she has taken this meds one other time before
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I understand your question cause I've also been like: okay is this going around cause it is def. wierd. So now you know of at least 2-4 more cases.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:41 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• The flu shot has nothing to do with the "stomach flu". You can get the stomach flu over and over and over again. You can simply avoid it by using good handwashing habits and making sure to really clean the bathroom and such when someone is sick like that. I believe the name for the "stomach flu" is gastroenteritis...could be off a few letters.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 21, 2009