How can I avoid medicine?

My son Trevor has a lot of energy. Lately he has been extremely disruptive in class and not listening. He is a good kid. They say that he does a lot of his antics for attention. When I ask him why he acts that way, he just says that it is too long a wait until recess. He doesn't explain things well when I ask. What should I do? I have tried everything. The doctors say I should try medicine, I really do not want to put him on any kind of medicine. I have given punishment, taken away toys, and everything else I can think of.

jll1484

Asked by jll1484 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like they're leaning towards ADHD or something? I think the term/diagnosis is way over-used. How come it only came into place in the last 20 years? It's part of his age, and typical energy level. If you make sure you provide an outlet that should help. You can't control what they allow in school, but after school he should be able to be outside in most weather conditions, running/burning off his energy for a long time. No tv/computer. That is very stimulating to the mind, but not the body. There's a problem. Control his protein level intake, as well as his carbs. Don't punish him for being a kid, but don't reward him for his "misbehaving" as it's called. If they are truly saying it's attention getting antics, then don't reward it. It's a cause and effect behaviour!!
    Good Luck!!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i have a teacher friend who works with all kinds of kids add, special needs, shes a great women. and she once said to me that there are a few kids that will drink a mt dew. i was like umm ok sugar, she said the drink mellows them out. i honestly forget what trems she used but said that if there wired they drink a mt dew and it calms them down. i thought that was wired but i know she wouldnt lie to me she is a good women.i wish i could rememeber how she said it and why, im still 1/2 asleep lol. maybe u could try it. just give him a small cup and see if it helps.also keep in contact with the teacher and see if hes calmer. sorry i couldnt be more help. good luck xo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my middle son as mild ADD and sounds like yours and we also refuse to put him on meds. What we have done is focused on his likes that also calm him down by focusing him. He is really into bugs and small animals/rodents. He has a huge bug collection from interesting bugs he has found outside that we research and mount, he has a hamster, and each summer gets butterflies and frogs to grow from eggs. He helps out around the house with everything, and spends a lot of time outside. in school he gets bored easily, and then acts out because he is bored. he has had great teachers who know this about him and so when he starts to act out or disrupt class by talking they do their best to occupy him or have him do something. Basically we redirect his undesirable behavior with something active that we approve of. GL
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• This may be long, since I have recently been through this.
    As for the answer about Mt. Dew: Yes, a child who truely has ADHD has an opp. reaction to stimulants. For the typical person it speeds them up, but with ADHD is slows them down. So caffinee pills, Rx's, soda.
    When I say slow them down, I do not mean zoombie. Those who act like a zoombie are obviously on the wrong med/system.
    I have found tons of protein help the brain control behavior outbusts & Omega 3 vitamins from my personal research.
    A child who is always being corrected for bad behavior, will soon have self esteem issues and act out because it is his "stereo type" and what is expected from him. Making and keeping friends will begin to be troublesome is there are problems with a temper.
    IF, and only if, meds or another plan would help his behavior, self esteem and social life it should be talked about with a Dr.
    Best of luck to you and your family
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You've gotten some good advice, but don't totally rule out medicine. I know of two children who use a patch form of add medicine and it is worked wonders for them. They only wear it for school and it gives them enough control. On the other hand a know a child who despirately needs to be on meds. She is in special education and is a constant behavior problem. She is smart and with a little support could be in regular ed. but her parents are in total denial. She is in 4th grade and has missed so much time she could have been progressing and learning.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Okay, first of all: is he ridiculously over-energized or is he just being a typical boy? Many teachers love to drug up the kids, so that they don't have to spend the time focusing on just him. NOT ALL TEACHERS ARE LIKE THAT, BUT MANY ARE, DO TO BEING UNDERPAID AND UNDER APPRECIATED. Anyway, check into herbal remedies if none of the above work. Another option to look into, if you are seriously opposed to medicating your son, is homeschooling. A wonderful option for both mom and child!
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 3:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• CHANGE HIS DIET! Organic and natural foods. Cut out High Fructose corn syrup and minimize sugar intake. Keep away from artificial colors and flavors in foods espcially RED 40. For breakfast have something with a good amount of protein nothing sugary. . Omega-3 is also good for maintaining a health noggin! Also There probably is nothing wrong with your boy... Teachers like to make wrong or bad of something that is completely normal.. If I ever sent my son to school which I never will, I have no doubt they would label him as ADHD, When Really he is just a very active little boy and there's NOTHING wrong with that. Not everyone has the mentality of rock to be able to just sit there quietly and do your "work".
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• get him up early to burn energy before school and watch his diet make sure he drinks 100% juice read the lables on everything
    Anonymous

• The curriculum used today in most school systems is putting so many more demands on kids and teachers. Each grade has been bumped up to the next grade level as far as the expectations. Also, kids do not get to get up and move as much as they need to sometimes. Some schools don't even have recess anymore!! If your sons activities are truly to gain attention, then that has less to do with ADD/ADHD, but is a behavioral issue and needs to be dealt with differently. Take away his audience by ignoring his antics or place his desk away from the group. Reward or praise the appropriate behavior and it will continue, ignore or say very little about the undesireable behavior. Also, are there some devices that an Occupational Therapist has that might help him sit and attend better. He would have to qualify for OT to get these items. I don't know how accepting his teacher is about making modifications. (Continued next post)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I have know kids that sit on a large therapy/exercise ball instead of a chair. They bounce slightly will sitting. It give them just enough movement to keep them quiet. Some also sit on special air filled rubber seat cushions to get the same effect. Some kids just need to hold something in their hand to "fidget" with while they work. Some thing like a koosh ball or something similar. Some kids can concentrate better when they chew gum. Some kids need these modifications because of sensory integration deficits not ADD/ADHD. Does your school have an SAT team? Some modifications can be discussed and implemented without needing an IEP or evaluations using the SAT team meeting. Go to Goggle and type in Techniques for ADD/ADHD in the classroom. This will give you and the teacher some ideas that may work for your son. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2009