• In the Spotlight:

dog and period

how long do they have a period? money is tight and cant get her fixed right now but noticed she statred her period.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I think they only get it like once a year and for 14 days.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• we used to have a lab and she got hers once a month or every other month (it was long ago) but it was a lot more often than I wanted. lol. That is why i have made installments of 10.00 a week towards our new little one getting spayed, just to make sure it got done before hers arrived.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Dogs only bleed when they are in heat, and this happens twice a year (at most). Some dogs only come in heat once a year. The females dogs that we have are pretty good at keeping themselves clean, we never see blood on the floor.
    Anonymous

• they get it every 6 months which is their heat cycle. They can bleed for 2-20 days depending on the dog. Use little boy underware and a panty liner or a diaper on her but dont forget to take it off for potty time. (trust me ive made that mistake too many times). Do not take her for walks and keep her away from male intact dogs. If you have anyother questions PM me i can probably help.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 2:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• also i may have info on how to get her spayed fairly inexpensively. PM with where you are from and ill try to help
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 2:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• If you can tell me where you live I can give you a listing of a low/no cost spay neuter program near you.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 3:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• for up to 21 days every 6 months.
    qtdavis

Answer by qtdavis at 5:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It depends on the breed of dog. Sighthounds typically have heat cycles starting anywhere from 16 months to 4 years (this is normal for sighthounds). After their first heat it can be every 6 months or annually based on exercise. Most dogs as a rule of thumb go into heat every 6 months and bleed anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks. The larger the dog the longer the heat cycle in most cases.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 8:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2009