Tight budget this week

I need ideas on how to feed a family of 4 for really cheap for one week. I mean, cheap! Like $60-70.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• To add to the above, you can also boil up the chicken bones and use the broth for soup. Cans of soup and grilled cheese. PB and Jelly. Spaghetti with just a little bit of meat. Hot dogs and beans. Canned beans are pretty cheap- bean sandwhiches. or add beans to canned soup to increase the protein. You need some green vegetables, so the cheapest lettuce you can find for salad, and if can afford fresh or frozen brocolli. Carrots are pretty cheap- get the big carrots and peel and cut them up yourself instead of the baby carrots, although compare prices. See what vegetables are cheapest. Cabbage is usually cheap- you can cook it or make cole slaw. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Pasta goes a long way. Maybe add veggies to the sauce instead of meat.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• buy chicken there cheap and u can do so much whole bird can be made into sandwiches, we do chicken legs and dh loves them. also can make chicken pot pie with gravey and veggies,
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• macaroni salad, make a big one. chicken is cheaper than red meat. Hot dogs,sloppy joes(use ground turkey,its cheaper and better for you)grilled ham and cheese with a side dish of something. mac and cheese.make a big soup/stew and warm it up one day for another meal.if you like potato salad, make enough for a few days and serve it with the hotdogs or sloppy joes(same with the pasta salad)
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Thanks ladies. After scouring my cupboards I actually found a ridiculous amount of food. I have boxes of pasta sides and hamburger helper and rices and ramen noodles and all sorts of stuff. I am suddenly not near as concerned about it now. Every year for Christmas, my parents buy each of their children in town and big box of non perishable foods for times like these. I stash it all away until I need it. In a panic, I actually forgot about it!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Buy a roast, make pot roast one night and beef and noodles the next. You can buy those cheap egg noodles to use. Potatoes there are many things there you could do. Any kind of pasta, eggs, cheese, Mac and Cheese, hot dogs, the list is endless it can be done trust me this is what we used to have to do. It is amazing what you can do when you have to.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• lol, I think most of us forget about what we have when we go shopping. I feed four for less than 80 a week. . . I buy one big container of meat (club pack whatevers on sale.) Fresh fruits and frozen veggies, (wegmans are only.89) and go with it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:47 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Pick up some dried beans and some rice. The two cooked together make a perfect protein and there are lots of dishes you can make that don't require meat. Try making your own bread. You can make bread for about 25 cents a loaf. A sack of flour and a package of yeast cost about the same as 2 loaves of bread, but can make many more than that. You can also make cookies or any other treat you want. The best way to save money is to not buy meat. You can also go buy the discounted meats. You need to either use them right away or throw them in the freezer. This save a ton of money. I spent an entire winter feeding my family of four (plus pets) on $35/week. You can do it. Start learning to make things from scratch if you don't know how already.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• thats how much i spend in a week on a family of 3.. didnt think it was tight lol. you can do it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Beans and rice or bean soup. Dried beans are very inexpensive and so easy to prepare. Full of protein, too. A really good substitute for meat for a day or two each week. Soups of any kind are wonderful. Make homemade chicken noodle and use the least expensive pieces of chicken. Yummy! Casseroles with just a little ground beef and lots of veggies goes a long ways and is very inexpensive.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2009