Antibiotics while breastfeeding?

Hello! I'm trying to avoid a trip to the doctor since I'm sure they're just going to prescribe me antibiotics anyway. I have a full course of Amoxicillin I never took, and I have a horrible sinus infection where my cheek, eye, ear and teeth are all hurting from it.

Can I take it while I'm bfing?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Health

• Amoxicillin is SAFE for you to take while nursing. For your own sake though, make sure you eat some yogurt or take a probiotic to replace whatever the antibiotic takes out of you. Antibiotics have a tendency to kill the good bacteria along with the harmful bacteria, so a probiotic should fix that.
    HUmama

Answer by HUmama at 11:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• What did your doctor tell you? I really don't know why you would ask here when you have obviously seen a doctor. Call the pediatricians office and get their opinion.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• From what I can find online, if it is safe for the baby then you can take it while breastfeeding. What I am thinking is that you don't know if the baby is allergic to amoxicillin, so you should call the pediatrician and ask. This could save you a trip to your doctor. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 11:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• wow...ok...I got the medication when I went 6 months ago for an upper respiratory infection, started feeling better before I started the antibiotics they gave me, and just kept them in the cupboard.

ANYWAY...I thought I had a sinus infection and wanted to make sure it wasn't something else so I ended up going to the doctors anyway and, egh, got prescribed the Ammoxicillin anyway.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2009