my sister thinks you should be married before you have any kids.i would like to know what others think about this

luvmommy42208

Asked by luvmommy42208 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think marriage is required. Being in a loving, committed relationship (married or not) is ideal. My parents were together for years before me and my brother were born but didn't get married until we were like 2 and 4 (about 10 years after they started "dating". They were together almost 29 years when my mom died but only married for about 19 (they actually couldn't remember what year they were married in because it was unimportant to them; they counted from when they started dating but used their wedding anniversary date in August to celebrate, lol).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I totally agree ... but JMO.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree, but broke that "rule" myself and we are happy
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 11:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• For me I got married than had my babies a few yrs later.Thats what I wanted it worked for me :)
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 11:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My son was 18 months old when I got married to his daddy....my son is now 13 yrs old and I am still very happily married. I would have liked to be married first but thats not the way it happened for me!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 11:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think that being married first is an ideal that is just not that much of a rule any more my DH and I were together for 9 years before we got married because we both knew we were commited and saw it more as a legality that we never got around to.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i dont think so i think that if your in love why have to put a label on it?..
    AprilisinLove

Answer by AprilisinLove at 11:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• MY husband and I go married when our son was two. He is now 16 and we are happily married with 2 other kids. I sometimes feel like a bad role model to my kids because of this and I am embarrassed to tell people about this. I usually don't mention this to people. I also don't put up my wedding party pictures because he is in a lot of them and I don't want to bring attention to it . I really wished that we would have gotten married first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes, it's about being a good role model to you kids
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I completely agree and I believe that people should wait until marriage to have sex as well. Life is best when we honor God. My husband and I have been very blessed by doing things the Godly way with our relationship.
    ACsLady

Answer by ACsLady at 11:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2009