In a past question I was told that NPR is not a reliable source and that because it is government funded that it is biased. I completely disagree. I listen to it and they really seem to be showing both sides. What is your opinion.

Here is the quote from the other thread-
NPR---since when is that a reliable source? If the Washington Times and Fox news aren't how can you claim NPR--a funded program---be reliable???

Asked by trippyhippy at 11:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I love NPR. No liberal or conservative slant. Just news.
    I also like CSPAN and PBS news.

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• a joke.

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• NPR is completely unbiased. I love it!

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Every media outlet, just like every study at a University, will be biased as to who funded the program or what the originiator intended to prove to begin with. If the study or investigation proved the originator to be incorrect the findings would not be reported. NPR is biased.

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• NPR is notorious for it's Liberal bias.

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• every news source can be bias . i mean it is only a human writing the story right? noone is perfect . once in a while it can end up being swayed by what the person writing it thinks .

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Reliable and unbiased are two different things. Some people just can't remove the sticks from their butt long enough to acknowledge that most news sources are actually getting their news from wire services anyway. Reliable sources: MSNBC, FOX, CNN, CBS, PBS, NPR, ABC, int'l press (guardian, al jazeera), AP, Reuters, Bloomberg. Biased sources: MSNBC, FOX, CNN, CBS, PBS, NPR, ABC, int'l press
    Unreliable sources: Pravda, Heritage Foundation, Huffpo, Moveon, DailyKos, freeper, wordpress, blogger

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I really think NPR is about as unbiased as it gets. They are sticklers for in-depth reporting that covers every side of an issue. All of their debate programs have representatives from each side, and they don't talk over people and drown everyone in irrelevant crap. They cover as many sides of any issue as they can find. They avoid sound bites and speculation. I Listen to NPR every day, and really, the6y are very thorough in their coverage. People that say they have a liberal bias should listen to it for a week or so before judging. Their call in shows are even balanced, there are an equal number of conservative and liberal callers who are allowed to speak.

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I don't have to listen for a week, one program did it...............

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• NPR is about all we'll listen to anymore. We get really tired of the sensationalism on cable news- all of which leans one direction or the other.

Answer by Raintree at 1:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2009