I am wondering if any moms have advice about surgery for tongue tie...we have had SO many problems with my 10 month old son and feeding, so he is scheduled for surgery in two weeks and I am terrified! Has anyone gone through this? And why oh why didn't my pediatrician find this at birth!?!?

My son has never ever liked bottles and there are days we couldn't get him to take one at all, as early as 3 weeks old! So it's pretty astounding that we are just now finding out about tongue tie, thanks to my mother in law, and a new pediatrician. His case is moderate and the ENT said it could afftect his speech in the fututre, so he is scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks. I am terrified of putting my baby under!!!

Jacksmom32

Asked by Jacksmom32 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a friend's kid had this problem. he had weight gain issues and wouldn't latch/take a bottle and they found out pretty early that it had to do with the tongue. So they snipped it a little and he was able to move it the way he needed to and all was well. I know it's hard putting them under, but it'll help him in the long run.
    Anonymous

• My son had a profound tongue tie. His frenulum was at the very tip of his tongue and was extremely short. He had trouble feeding and sucking on things. I noticed his tongue tie the minute they laid him on me when he was born and he had his mouth open screaming in my face lol (I am a health care professional and tend to notice the weirdest things). When he was 2 or 3 weeks old, our ENT did an inferior frenectomy. He went into the out patient OR center while we waited in the waiting room, they gave him some goofy gas and clipped it really quick. He was out of "surgery" within minutes, was wide awake, wanted to eat and had no idea what happened to him. He had no bleeding (although they can cauderize it if it does) and showed no signs of discomfort afterward.

I highly recommend having it done, especially if you have an ENT that is willing to do it (cont.).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Some ENTs want to wait to see if it will stretch out later in life or see if it will inhibit proper speach. I say waiting UNTIL there is a problem is waiting too long. I'm glad I had it done at a time when my son won't remember it rather than waiting until he's 3 or 4 like some ENTs want you to.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Mt daughter was tounge tied and they found it when we were still in the hospital. Her pedi recomended taking her to a specialist and I think she was like 4 months old. All they did was snip it. No medication or anything. I held her and when they were done I gave her her normal dose of tylenol. She was fine by the time we got home!
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I have done many of these surgeries....even if they did find it when he was born they wouldn't have done anything about it then anyway. it is a very quick procedure. They still breath on their own and they don't have a tube in their throat or anything. It takes about 5 minutes once the baby is in the OR. They put about 2- 3 stitches in that dissolve in about a week. I know it's scary for you as a mom. but being on the other side of it, I can tell you that it is a very simple procedure and VERy common. good luck and your little one will be just fine:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my neice was tongue tied and had it clipped at about 14 months. they had to put her to sleep to do it but after the 5 minute surgery was not hurting could stick her tongue out normally and ate much better was able to eat much more chewable foods my son was also tongue tied at birth he was 4 days old when clipped it took all of five mins. didnt bleed didnt cry no medication given some pedi.'s dont like to clip til 1 yr not sure why they want them 2 suffer this long in my opinion some even say all babies look tongue tied when born not sure if i believe this one or not. you know when your baby is having hard time eating. It really is a simple painless procedure. well worth it i worried like you too for both son and neice but for nothing after all said and done. neice able to chew and eat pizza immediately after effortlessly and painless. i hope this helps ease some concern.
    zayners

Answer by zayners at 3:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my neice or son did not have stitches at all no tylenol either they were fine. the scariest part was indeed them putting my neice to sleep but how else will they keep a 10 month olds mouth open and still while doing this procedure
    zayners

Answer by zayners at 3:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My cousin had this.. they didn't find it until she was 3! She couldn't have the surgery and had to have it stretched.. along with speech therapy, after all that time of struggling to nurse, eat, talk, etc. Another cousin had the surgery around a year old and it was over and done with in a few days.
    Good luck, mama.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 6:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2009