Do any of you use the IUD for BC?

I have been on birth control pills off and on for the last 10 years and if not pills then the depo. Anyway, DH and I wanted another baby, but with him being un-employeed and our 'baby' being almost 5, now is NOT the time!! I was looking into different forms of longer-lasting BC and the 5 year IUD sounds like a good deal.
My question is to everyone who has USED the IUD, what side effects, problems, weight gain, or anything else you can think of, did you notice.
My main worry, besides how well it works, is how's the weight gain? Sorry so long, but any imput on the IUD would be WONDERFUL!!!

Peanut_Farley

Asked by Peanut_Farley at 12:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What if you get an IUD and then you run into Donnie Wahlberg? How are you gonna have his love child then, huh?
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You can get a non-hormone IUD that should not affect your weight at all. It is a copper IUD I believe the brand name is Paragard? That is what I had and instead of 5 year it was a 10 year, but it can be removed at any time. The only side effects I had was heavier periods which I was told is common with IUDs.
    Anonymous

• If you are talking about Mirena, please, do not get it. I had mine for a little over a year, with all kinds of awful side effects. No weight gain, but depression, shooting abdominal pains, terrible periods, migraines, the list goes on. I just had to have emergency surgery to have it removed because it came out of my uterus and ended up in my left fallopian tube... it was just a disaster the whole time I had it. I don't wish that experience on anyone. There is actually a class action lawsuit in progress against Mirena because so many people have had these problems.
    Sahminky

Answer by Sahminky at 12:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I used the non hormonal IUD paragard for a year ( just got it out because hubby and I are going to start trying for a baby). I LOVED it because I had been on the pill for a while and was so over all the hormone crap! It worked fine, I never got pregnant and we had sex pretty much every day. My periods were a couple days longer than with the pill, and I'm not sure if the cramps were a side effect of the IUD or just my normal cramps that I get when I'm not on the pill...I'm thinking they are just my regular cramps. The only thing is maybe once every couple months my husband would hit it in such a way that he could feel it, but it never actually HURT him, he just noticed it was there. I think it was great and I would totally recommend it to anybody!
    amy.lachney

Answer by amy.lachney at 12:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• See, the weight gain bothers me. I've just lost around 60 lbs and don't want any of it back!! LOL!! Most of the stuff that I've read said stuff about longer periods and with pills mine are only 4 or 5 days long, without bc, I am looking at 10-13 days of heavy heavy bleeding, so if longer and heavier is a side effect, then no IUD for meeeee!!
    Thank you for replying!!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 12:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I have had the Mirena since October and I love it so far. I haven't had any side effects at all. I am actually losing weight now and I feel so much better. The Mirena can cause spotting for the first few weeks but it does go away, faster for some women than others. I haven't had any bleeding for nearly three months. I would and have recommended this Mirena IUD to other women.
    Anonymous

• I used the non hormaonal paraguard and it worked great ... i cramped up alittle after sex, but my doc said that can happen with an iud and it certainly wasn't too bad. I would recommend trying this one.
    LALI86

Answer by LALI86 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I have had mirena for almost two years and love it. I havent had any side effects at all, no period since it was put in, no weight gain, depression etc. My SIL also has mirena and has had no problems. I guess it isnt for everyone but everyone I know who has it loves it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• The hospital in my town doesn't allow iud's for unwed mothers... so my dr recommended the implant that goes in your arm. I'm not positive on the name of it, and I haven't tried it yet since I'm still pregnant.
    I personally am not a candidate for anything with estrogen, and this arm one has only progesterone. I've been on a progesterone based bc before, it didn't seem to make me gain weight. which I am very worried about also.
    idk... just an option.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I had the Mirena for almost three months and I have to say I bleed for two months straight and I have to say any of the bc that I have been on have made me gain weight as well. Now for bc that I have been on to lighten my periods were the Loestrin® 24 Fe and it worked well. There have been ones that have made me gain weight and one of the was Errin and Othro-Tri Cyclen, now my tubes are tied and I am having a hysterectomy in 3 weeks
    HardyFan

Answer by HardyFan at 5:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2009